Not quite the same old best boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there is a whole lot of info on best boilers, but what I want to ask is the best boiler for a particular job.
I'm installing 200sq.mtrs of underfloor heating and three bathrooms etc.
I need an oil fired floor mounted boiler. Would someone please advise on type of boiler and make. What output would be needed, and would the system be unvented. This is a new build now at groundwork stage.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
First call an oftec registered engineer in your area
Like me im sure they will come and chat about the job and quote free
of charge :)

You need an oftec engineer to fill in the paper work and commission boiler
As for the boiler GRANT are the best in my opinion and a sealed system
i prefer on new build

good luck!

P.S im in essex so wont be coming for a free quote :D :D

If you go into the OFTEC site they will help with an installer ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that . Wondered if you could give me Model name and perhaps a ball park figure for output? Just so I can do a bit of research to do my forward costings on the build. cheers

The heat output of UFH varies quite a lot depending on the system but an average is about 50 w/m².

For 200m² of UFH that comes to a nice round 10kW to which you should add an allowance of 2 kW for water heating according to Energy Saving advice although many installers prefer to use 3 kW.

So a 12 kW boiler should suffice but that might have to be 18 kW if your UFH can dissipate 75w/m².

Again I suggest you use a professional to advise you on the UFH and boiler design requirements.

Tony

Thanks for that. I am receiving quotes for a complete self install UFH system as we speak. So the UFH will be delivered cut to size with all manifolds,themostats and cad design. Using a wet scree on ground floor and a dry scree on first floor. I am also getting quotes for a full plastic pipe work with manifold domestic supply so they know my needs, but most of the UFH supliers quotes do not include info on type of boiler required.
I will , as you have suggested, call in a profesional for the final fit and commisioning but would like to be able to keep my options open on where and which boiler to buy.
Again thanks for your replies

To correctly size the boiler you need to know the heat output of the UFH system.

In addition you need to calculate the heat loss of the whole house and check that the UFH output will match that.

With a new house with proper insulation there should not be a problem with a 12 kW boiler, but the proper investigations should still be made.

However the heat output of the UFH can vary greatly and can go down to about 30 w if you have thick wood block covering the cement screed. At that level it might not give out enough heat for the house!

Again I think you need professional advice!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back