What type of boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install an underfloor heating system in part of a large glasshouse.

I intend to buy an oil fired boiler to run the system.
Looking for advise as to what type of boiler to go for as I dont need any hot water for anything other than the underfloor heating system.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What is this "large glasshouse"?
Is it connected to a house?
Open walled to house or exterior doors?
What's its purpose?
Why do you need it heated?

These answers will help with advice.

It is a bed inside a large glasshouse.
It is a bed for rooting cuttings.
There will be 2 beds 13mtrs x 2mtrs each.
The beds will have polystyrene insulation with the heating pipes laid on top and then 1.5 to 2 inches of sand on top, Then trays of cuttings are placed on top of the sand and covered with polythene. There is a small shed inside the glasshouse to put the boiler in.

OK. So it's for purposes other than domestic heating.

Be careful when mentioning "beds"!
On here that usually means the kind that people sleep in!

Is this a business you are running or a hobby thing?

What do similar setups use for this purpose? There must be others that have required such arrangements and I would imagine there are forums directly related to this subject.

Have you researched based on "best way to heat greenhouses/glasshouses for cultivating" or similar?

You will get a lot of heat loss through the fabric of the building and there will definitely be regs for commercial setups of this nature.

Sponsored Links
I guess what i really needed to ask was what type of boiler can be used to run just heating without hot water supply.

A small output one that's happy running @ low temp. for the UFH. Can't help more because I last worked with wallflame oil boilers:(

I would think that with 13 metre long beds some care in the design of the pipe work would be needed to mimimise temperature differences along the bed.

Otherwise the cuttings at one end of the bed could be growing faster than those at the other end of the bed.

I guess what i really needed to ask was what type of boiler can be used to run just heating without hot water supply.

A "heat only" boiler... Or regular boiler.
But any can be used and it may be useful to have a hot water supply also, for cleaning etc.
You could also look at lpg as it may be more practical than oil... Getting supplies etc!

I've just looked at an old system like I am trying to build in a old derelict glasshouse.
It was a heat only boiler running on gas.
Simple pipework just one cold water feed/expansion tank and pump to circulate the water. No need for separate hot water cylinder.

I've just looked at an old system like I am trying to build in a old derelict glasshouse.
It was a heat only boiler running on gas.
Simple pipework just one cold water feed/expansion tank and pump to circulate the water. No need for separate hot water cylinder.

But if you get a combi, you can have instantaneous HW also, without the need for a cylinder!

And the mains feed for the f&e tank can just be fed straight into the combi, with a filling loop for topping pressure up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back