Best boiler to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new boiler and could do with some help finding out which is the best around, it will be for a medium sized semi-detached house and will have to provide for 11 radiators, 2 bathrooms and one kitchen. If someone could list a few of the best boilers around and why they are the best or maybe what i should look for in a boiler it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
this is an extremely common question and it would be tedoius to go through it all again.

Browse the "Plumbing and Central Heating" forum and read the previous ones.

More important than the boiler brand is the quality of installation. Look for a well-recommended local person who does repairs and servicing as well as installations. If you having an old boiler replaced, it is very important to clean out all the old sediment from the system before fitting the new one. It is also worth having a Magnaclean or similar fitted to trap any remaining sediment (you can never get it all out)

Some manufacturers give a longer warranty if the boiler is installed by one of their approved installers, so find one.

I need a new boiler and could do with some help finding out which is the best around, it will be for a medium sized semi-detached house and will have to provide for 11 radiators, 2 bathrooms and one kitchen. If someone could list a few of the best boilers around and why they are the best or maybe what i should look for in a boiler it would be very helpful.

Thanks

I agree with JohnD but I'd like to warn you that someone called Bigburner will be along soon; simply ignore him.

Sponsored Links
start by deciding if you have just one bathroom, in which case a Combi will do, or if you want to heat water e.g. with an immersion heater when your boiler breaks down, in which case it won't.

I chose a white one, with a stainless steel heat exchanger, because I wanted it to have a long life.

start by deciding if you have just one bathroom, in which case a Combi will do,

High flow combis can do two bathrooms. Ever heard of them? Plenty of them around.

or if you want to heat water e.g. with an immersion heater when your boiler breaks down, in which case it won't.

In in-line electric instant water heater will do that. Approx £100.

http://www.avantaplus.co.uk

Look at a the Broag Avantapluc 35C or 39C combi. The 39C
is £917 inc VAT, that is very well priced for a 40kW boiler.
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/c.../Central Heating Boilers/Broag Remeha Boilers

http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productdetail.asp?ID=2457&sectID=401&catID=403&parentID=&sort=

Look at the combi options pages 17 to 21. The outside senors etc, are a little extra.
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Issue 5 -Avanta Schematics Booklet.pdf

Have a Magnaclean on the return to the boiler. That will prevent any blocking up of the tubes in the heat exchanger.

The Broag, has a 5 year guarantee. They use primarily industry standard components and little plastic with Honeywell brass hydrobocks. The Broags are better quality than Vaillant and much cheaper. They are a well priced
quality boilers having a superb control system with integrated outside weather compensation and OpenTherm protocol control. Use the weather compensation.

I see bigbullshit is free advertising again, I also wonder how much commission he gets? :rolleyes:

bigburner i assume with the knowledge you have on boilers etc why dont you post on the CC. i find your postings intersting.but love to chat on various subjects in a more private manor.

BigBum(mer

Do Broag a favour and stop recommending their boilers. :evil:

I have installed a few and find your pathetic contribution embarrassing.

As for the Broag range I cant fault them, then again I am qualified to install, commission and service them but with BB recommending them I might look at another manufacturer.

BB / Dr dribble it time the mods baned you again :evil: :evil:

As mentioned above, the quality of the installation is more important than the make of the boiler.
there are some exceptions like jaguar, protherm saunier, keston and ideal to name but a few.
there are a couple of not so mainstream boilers that are very good like atag and atmos and some other, but they have the downside of leaving you totally dependent on the installer as very few companies carry the brand.
one way that may be helpful to come to a conclusion is to search for a boiler make that you are considering and see how often it comes up on the forum with problems

one way that may be helpful to come to a conclusion is to search for a boiler make that you are considering and see how often it comes up on the forum with problems

Unless you have about a week spare to read all the posts about faults, don't search for Ideal :eek: :LOL:

If you install a good boiler onto a badly installed heating system then the boiler gets the blame, if not the boiler then the installer. Unless you are gonna rip out the lot and go from scratch my advice would be to have your existing system surveyed and take advice from there. You may change the boiler and find the rest of your system is and has always been crap. Take advice on what needs to be changed rather than what you think needs to be changed.

we're having an extension done so the new boiler is going to be in a different position so i guess i dont have to worry about sedminet? Also is it normal to use plastic pipes for cold water and only use metal ones or hot water?

I've looked around a little and found some info but im a complete unknown to this stuff.

We're thinking about getting a combi and i wanted to know how badly does the flow of water/heat change when it's being used at 2 or more places in the house.

Find yourself a good installer who comes recommended by people you trust and let him sort out the details.
You can spend 100 hours on here trying to find out what is good and what not, and you still won't be able to tell if you have a good installation or not when he is finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back