Not seen this before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Although I've browsed before I've never posted a query or question. But I am stumped on this.

My problem is;

Two 3 way switches (neither of which have supply into them) to one light.

3-core and earth connections

Cable connections in the switches are fine.

Light fitting last on the circuit.

Problem is;

Potentially Into the standard light fitting (which Live, Earth, N) we have

Supply (E,N,Live)
and both the 3-core and earth from the switches (yellow - which is switch live, "live red", earth and neutral)

Now, I've connected as I (keen college course going amateur spark) think they should be.

Switch neutrals boxed
earthed
Supply neutral and switch live (yellow) - to fitting
Supply live and other switch live (yellow) to fitting
Switch live (red) boxed.

Because I've identified switch live I've also tried a couple of other options - but that would bore everyone to tears.

I wouldn't normally ask - wanting to impress when I go back to my night class - but I am stumped. Would I be right in thinking that the light is in effect sending the power to the switches who are simply opening or closing the circuit?

I've checked the wiki's and can't find anything

Any ideas would be really appreciated - sorry for the length of the post a can't see the wood for the trees at the moment!

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
With the loop-in system(uk standard) two of the lives form a daisy chain in the ceiling rose to the next fitting and the third live goes to the switch as part of a two core &e, the blue core being the switch live back to the ceiling rose (marked with a brown sleeve)terminating in the end terminal with two terminations.This then connects to the lamp holder,the blue from the lamp holder connecting to the neutrals in the ceiling rose, which will be in the other end terminations(three terminals) OK?
THIS CAN BE FOUND IN STICKY.

electrics:lighting:2way_cable_save.gif

you mean this one in the wiki? under "cable saving method"?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

Sponsored Links
Hi Both,

Thanks very much for the advice - not being able to see clearly enough on the wiki page didn't help.

I want to make sure that I understand rather than just fix these things as they come up - its the only way I'll learn I suppose.

Thanks again for providing the clarity I needed.

Cheers
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back