Not sure if fire-place has fire-bricks. What are the risks?

Added photos to first post (click to see full size versions)

Sponsored Links
Update - someone came round and was fairly clear the bricks are in fact the fire-bricks from when it was last used as a working fire, not a facade to make it pretty - they just cleaned up and painted them.
They also reckoned a proper stove might be tricky without taking the whole thing out (I'd love to inset one in the fire-place).

So I've booked in a professional they recommended to come and give some proper advise on my options, and will most likely have a go using it for an open fire this winter.

Question - it was a coal fireplace originally but the grate and fret are long gone, and oddly I cannot find a suitable grate sold online for the shape/depth needed.
However since I want to burn wood, do I want a grate - or should I set the fire directly on the hearth?

img_20181031_141811-jpg.151336

img_20181031_141828-jpg.151335

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back