(Not) Using Speedfit inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a plumber working for me a few weeks ago on a bathroom refit.

I caught him not using inserts on speed fit pipe and fittings and he said the pipe was strong itself if using a speedfit fitting but he used inserts on compression.

I got a call back to say there was a leak in behind the toilet. Couldn't see where it was coming from so took the toilet out and stripped down all the fittings to find a plastic pipe into a compression fitting without an insert.o_O

I think I already know the answer but I'm guessing he was at it?

He was put off the job anyway for another reason but I'm thinking I won't be using him again.

I laboured for a plumber years ago and although he was solder and copper for the most part anytime he used plastic pipe or fitting he stressed the need for using an insert.

Sponsored Links
yes yes yes, you always need a pipe insert

Do I need to use a pipe insert every time I connect Speedfit Pipe to a fitting?
You should always use a pipe insert when you connect Speedfit Pipe. Inserts help ensure that the shape of the pipe is kept circular, making for a better seal between the outside diameter of the pipe and the ‘O’ ring. They also make the pipe more rigid, helping to prevent ‘weeping’ past the ‘O’ ring if a side load is applied.

There are 2 types of insert for use with Speedfit Pipe.

The Superseal ‘STS’ Insert has it’s own ‘O’ ring which gives a secondary seal against the bore of the fitting.

The Standard ‘TSM’ Insert has a plain shoulder allowing a greater length of pipe into the fitting.

Use of the Standard Insert is recommended when connecting Speedfit Pipe to a compression fitting

Yea, Compression fitting or speedfit fittings, all REQUIRE inserts. Given some time you might have the joy of some of the fitting deciding just to pop off completely

Sponsored Links
Any problem with using the superseal inserts in a compression fitting? Had to do a few and had only bought a big bag of superseal. Can't see any disadvantage apart from slightly more expensive.

Any problem with using the superseal inserts in a compression fitting? Had to do a few and had only bought a big bag of superseal. Can't see any disadvantage apart from slightly more expensive.

I believe so from what I've read on here, follow the advice as above to use the standard inserts as you will have more pipe in the fitting. I think that the consensus on here seems to be that copper pipe into a speedfit fitting is less likely to blow apart than speedfit pipe into a compression fitting. Also, if you do use a compression fitting use a copper olive in place of brass.

I believe so from what I've read on here, follow the advice as above to use the standard inserts as you will have more pipe in the fitting. I think that the consensus on here seems to be that copper pipe into a speedfit fitting is less likely to blow apart than speedfit pipe into a compression fitting. Also, if you do use a compression fitting use a copper olive in place of brass.
Well it's in my own house so at least it's not a customer! Has been fine sat at 6bar and tried tugging on them etc. I'll take the chance! I'd feel a lot worse if I'd forgotten inserts at all.

Your fella was trained by Roy Rogers and is Sponsored by Dunlop Wellington Boots and Acme Umbrella Co. Ltd.

The superseal insert has compressible O rings and therefore is unsuitable for brass fittings with olives, as the O rings will squash over time and the olive will no longer hold the pipe in place.

Just read the instructions and specification from Speedfit, the answer is there. Give your plumber a copy and if he doesn't come back and use the correct inserts on all joints then call the Office of Fair Trading with photos and independent report.

When the major brands of Pushfit are used correctly it's very reliable.

It's "installers" like this that give Pushfit a bad name, if he is indeed a plumber, I would be tempted to name and shame and if he is a member of any institute or federation let them know and send some photographic evidence to them and suggest that their members should attend a manufacturers "Tool Box Talk"

Never use super seal inserts on compression fittings.

They will pop eventually.

I made this painful mistake.

If having to use plastic pipe, I prefer hepworth when used with compression fittings because you can fit the metal inserts and they don't protrude too much = lots of pipe in fitting. Had 1 where we were running it at Glastonbury festival and had 8 bar of pressure. Same pipe was used on that job 7 times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back