Not your standard carpentry topic.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An unusual request so i'm not sure if i will get much help here, but got to give it a go...

I'm looking to make from scratch, a presentation box, with very little practice at the subject.

Basically its the old man's birthday in a few months, and as he is a carpenter at heart I think it would be a real heart warmer for be to be able to not just buy him something but to make the box it came in aswell. (a grown-up macaroni picture if you will.)

He has been such a pain to buy for, so this will hopefully be something else entirely.

I really need suggestions on wood to use, tips on how to make it look as professional as possible, and some ideas what to use for the packing material (foam?) that will hold the gift inside still.

To make matters easier I unfortunately do not have many tools or a lot of space to do it in.

Anybody fancy a crack at this?

cheers,

~ben

Sponsored Links
My tip. Practice on cheap wood!

My other tip, also available as a book I believe.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ahh theres another point, what cheap wood? i know some are easier to work with than others.

Is this box to hold the QE2 or a paper clip ;)

What is going in the box, what shape, what type of lid etc etc.

You can do one of these easily and cheaply, no fancy joints or construction required.

Let us know what you want of it, and then we can go from there

Sponsored Links
very good points...

about 200 X 150mm not sure on height but 150 sounds right, i was thinking of a simple flat lid using a couple of small butt hinges.
Nothing fancy, i would hope if i got a good grain and the present inside will make up for it.

It will house a couple of pots of zymol, so i was thinking of using some stiff foam and a hole saw, build it up in layers.

Never worked with foam and havnt seen anywhere that would give me a choise...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back