Building a shed from scratch as a rookie: how realistic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First up: I'm a total beginner. I've used my jigsaw to cut decking planks, made myself a couple of ropey shelves, and I'm happy to get stuck in. But I am a beginner.

I also take feedback very well, so if this is a stupid idea please do say - I'll not be offended.

Divorce means I'm moving out of my home, and consequently losing my garage gym. I love my garage gym.

My new home won't have a garage. However it does have a decent sized garden.

When I say gym, I mean sufficient space for a power-rack with a bench - everything else can be done outside.

Sheds seem to be bloody costly for what they are.

How viable is it for me to make my own, from scratch, which won't collapse on me?

Caveat: I know joiners/carpenters spend years simply learning the basics, then years more perfecting their craft and becoming experts. I don't expect for one-second that I'd make something anything like you guys would.

But I'm just looking to make something water-tight, wind-proof, which looks alright and lasts a few years. And the cost of materials would have to be sufficiently less than RRP on a normal shed to make it worthwhile.

What are your initial thoughts? Suck it up and buy a shed, or start doing my research to make my own? Thoughts welcome and appreciated, cheers!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Matt,
Making a shed from scratch is easyish to do but unfortunately just the cost of wood is more expensive than buying one.

And you have to add cost of sundries and tools (screws, electric drill, saw etc).

Suggest you buy shed and then modify it to match what you want. Thus way you get better at woodwork and slowly gather (or in my case hoard) all the bits and experience you need.

Nice link here
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/building-a-shed-from-scratch.217007/

Sfk

But I'm just looking to make something water-tight, wind-proof, which looks alright and lasts a few years. And the cost of materials would have to be sufficiently less than RRP on a normal shed to make it worthwhile

The cost of materials will be more than one of those super cheap sheds, the ones with 32mm x 32mm framework.

However if you want a decent solid shed, one that is wind proof and rain proof then you will be able to build one much more cheaply.

To achieve waterproof cladding, you are best to build the studwork, clad with 11mm osb board, cover the outside with breathable membrane, fit vertical battens, then attach the cladding.
That will make a weathertight shed with a cavity behind the cladding -it makes a huge difference, changing the structure from a garden shed to a timber frame building.

Cladding is expensive, so if 1 or more sides faces a fence etc, consider doung those with cement board like rendaboard. Or fit osb board and paint with liquid rokfing compound.

For doors and windows, get some 2nd hand upvc gear from ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back