Notches or holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are installing new cables across joists and the old cables are situated in notches, should you utilise these notches (with added protection) or should you drill new holes?

I ask the question because I was asked this question for my 16th edition exam and I said the latter (based on the assumption that the original notches may not be in the prescribed areas), apparantly I was wrong, as drilling new holes would weaken the support.

An electrician friend of mine insists that you should NEVER use notches regardless, and should always drill holes.

Sponsored Links
I suppose by utilising the existing notches you are not making matters any worse in terms of the structural integrity of the wood. And it would be cheaper than consulting a structural engineer to tell you whether or not the combination of existing notches and new holes was safe! Or does one sometimes just use common sense when on the job…

For anybody who is interested there is guidance on notching and drilling wood here

An electrician friend of mine insists that you should NEVER use notches regardless, and should always drill holes.
In an ideal world yes, unless you're a plumber ;)

Sponsored Links
sparky for definite, the wood in the holes looks more aged than the wood where the cut is..

lazy pipe fitters pulling up the easy boards where the sparky had already been..

if I ever get to build my own house, I'm going to put 2x3's under the joists running at right angles to them, then suspend the ceiling from those..

gives the somewhere to run the services, even square ducting for central air...

Holes drilled midway between top and bottom are the best as they hardly affect the strength of the beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back