Novice needs Help!!!! White paint turning Grey?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Well my first attempts at painting seemed to get off to a good start until....

When I apply the white paint (dulux brilliant white) to the wall with a roller, there seems to be a grey tinge and grey residue at the edge of the roller stroke?

I've changed the rollers numerous times but still seem to be coming up with the same problem after every change.

The only thing on the walls which appear as though they could cause slight discoloration is the pencil markings for radiator fixings.

Slightly p*()__d off as all seemed to be going well!

Also, I'm using a dulux roller and have tried the Harris 2 handed vanquish which seem to be pretty poor, or is it crap technique??

Finally the walls are in a new build flat (finished 6 months ago) the current walls have standard contract emulsion on. Following advice on here, I'm applying the dulux for an undercoat and have some Farrow n Ball All White to finish with.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The grey comes from the roller frame where it contacts the roller. You are dipping your roller too deep into your tray. Keep the wet paint AWAY from the frame. The grey is tiny fragments of steel.

I Take it that you are applying the Dulux before you apply the Farrow & ball, if so there is nothing wrong with that.

Providing there is no contamination on either the walls or the roller, the only other thing I can think of is that the paint was'nt stirred enough and the binder is working out from the edges of the roller.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back