nterconnected smoke and heat alarms - removing interconnect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a circuit of 2 x smoke alarms and 1 x heat alarm for which I want to remove the interconnecting wire. I beleive the interconnecting wire has been damaged as when all three alarms are connected they sound continously, but when I remove the first alarm in the circuit the other two do not sound. I have tried replacing the unit with a new one, but same issue.

Until such time as I can get someone in to replace i want the units to still operated but independently. As an experiment I disconnected the black interconnect wire in the alarm which directly connects to the upstairs lighting circuit (I beleive this is the first one in the circuit???) and that seemed to solve it. All alarms still detect as they should, but independently without them all going off.

Is it safe to remove the interconnect wire. From what i can find on this site the interconnect with is not mains volted, so I am guessing that by disconnecting the interconnect wire in each unit and covering in insulation tape this will solve the problem.

Many thanks

Billy

Sponsored Links
You are correct, but the interconnect should not be connected to the lighting circuit? I may be reading your post incorrectly?

What make smokes do you have?

Have you double checked every connection? Including the supply to the detectors to check for correct polarity?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Apologies, there is no interconnect coming from the light circuit, only Live, neatrual,earth. The interconnect is coming out to the second alarm.

I have 2 x EI141 smoke alarms and 1 x EI144 heat alarm. They are definately wired into the upstairs lighting ciruit as that this the fuse i have to flip to turn the power off. I beleive the circuit is upstairs smoke detector followed by heat detector and then entrance hall smoke detector, as the heat detector has 2 x each wire installed.

What makes me think that it is the interconnecting wire is the fact that if I remove the heat detector and entrance hall smoke detector no alarm goes off. The same if i remove the upstairs landing detector with the other two attached. I only have the problem when the upstairs alarm is connected as the same time as another alarm (expect when I remove the interconnection in the upstair landing alarm that is).

Pass on polarity (not sure what that is!!). All I know is that when I remove the interconnect wire they all work as stand alone alarms.

Are there any risks in not having the interconnect wire attached (other than not getting the benefit of all alarms gonig off)?????

Many thanks

Billy

Sponsored Links
wiring.gif

Basic interlinked wiring diagram.

Normally wired in three core and earth cable with the yellow being the interlink wire on the old coloured cables (red and black the other wires) or grey being the interlinked wire on the newer harmonised cable. (brown and black being the other wires)

Normally I would have said it was a duff unit If its activating when connected. check the wiring is correct as mentioned before. If its connected as you say then there should be two alarms with two lots of feed cables in and one alarm with one feed cable in.

Is there an interconnect wire in all three?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back