NTL Phone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to put a '1 Line Twin Extension Socket Flush'. Into a spare room. I want to run it off of another extension. Does anybody know where, or have any info on this please? I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
you need to connect across terminals 2 & 5 on both existing socket and new socket. it would be less hassle if your new socket is a "master"

breezer said:
you need to connect across terminals 2 & 5 on both existing socket and new socket. it would be less hassle if your new socket is a "master"

It isn't a master. But why would a master make it easier. And what colour wires on 2 & 5, or doesn't it matter.

Many thanks

The new socket you install should be a master, if not you will have to connect terminal 3 too. the colours do not matter, so long as they are the same both ends

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
The new socket you install should be a master, if not you will have to connect terminal 3 too. the colours do not matter, so long as they are the same both ends

Thx a lot:)

Well I eventually got around to the job, and unfortunately the socket doesn't work. Even with terminal 3 crossed...Any ideas please?

Cheers.

i presume you ran in a new cable?

it will be your connections then (sorry :cry: ) most phone sockets have a "v" connector you must make sure the wire is pushed right down into the "v" you should use one of these

929i0.jpg

which you can get from maplin

and also make sure that you have used the sam colours at both ends, but should say it is the connections. also they rarely work very well if you have 3 wires in each connection

For IDC ( push in ) connectors to work properly the wire used must be single core and the correct guage or the connectios may not work properly. If you simply extend ALL the 5 connections fron one socket to the next, bearing in mind the above re, wires. It will work.

The new socket should NOT be a master - there should only be one master. I find those plastic IDC tools a waste of time - nowhere near strong enough. Get a metal one!

I have to disagree with saying the new socket should NOT be a master, the only real difference is that a master has a capacitor to make the phone ring. wire 3 connects the capaitor in the master to the slave sockests, by using a 2nd master it means you have one wire less to worrry about

to be honest i have never used the plastic insertion tool i use a proper kroning tool but at £37.39 from here (last item under tools) it seems a bit much to connect 4 wires

See what voltage you have across 2 and 5. It should be 50vdc normally and 80v when you ring the line. If you haven't got that then there are problems with your connections. All of the comments so far by all of us have been according to the usual analogue line; you may have a digital line and I have to admit I cannot claim any knowledge of purely digital lines. What voltage have you got at your original point across 2 and 5?

he could always use his tonge................saying that, I dont recommend it........always remember my apprentice days.....stripping cable with my teeth.....and some-one trying to phone in.....what can I say...I was young :oops:

34v? Learn something new every day; we haven't got NTL anywhere near here so I've not come across it yet. I have built the AC and DC power installations for the repeater stations for NTL all over the country for their fiber-optic link cable but haven't a clue about the end user info in dwellings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back