Votes: 10 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Is a double socket 1 or 2 points of utilisation?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is definitely one point of utilisation only.

But I fail to get excited about counting points.

Sponsored Links
Back in my days testing for the council we used to class it as 2 points...

That's the council for you.

It used to be quite simple.

Take a kitchen. In 1975 there was a 5ft florry on the ceiling = 1 point
In 2015 there are 10 downlights in the ceiling and three under-cupboard lights because the downlights make a big black shadow for you to remove your oysters from their shells = 13 points?

Undoubtedly one. I never understand how people class it as two. It's ONE accessory. It may have two outlets, but it's still one point.

What useful information does anyone get from it?

Unlike almost everything else in an EICR, it's something that a typical hpuseholder can actually understand and check. So they can confirm that the person claiming to have done the report did at least visit their property and didn't entirely make up the numbers while sat in the pub.

Under the older rules which put a specific limit on the number of sockets on a 20 or 30A radial circuit, a twin socket used to be counted as two.

Under the older rules which put a specific limit on the number of sockets on a 20 or 30A radial circuit, a twin socket used to be counted as two.

That's right.

This section of the 14th. Ed gives rise (in my mind) to some of the most restrictive regs (when compared to today's), including the following:

A 20A 7/ .029 radial serving 1 room <300ft² (that is not a kitchen) could only supply a maximum of 6 BS1363 or 2814 outlets and stationary appliances (not exceeding 13A) and only provided no fixed water heating appliances were connected to any of those points.

A 20A radial serving other rooms could only supply a maximum of 2 outlets, a 30A one, 6.

A 20A radial serving other rooms could only supply a maximum of 2 outlets, a 30A one, 6.
The original 14th edition says a 20A radial may serve up to six sockets in a single room not exceeding 300 sq. ft., only two sockets if a kitchen.

The 13th edition as amended to 1963 says a 20A radial may serve a maximum of three sockets in a single room not exceeding 200 sq. ft., again only two if a kitchen. (Doubles counted as two in all cases.)

I never understood the logic behind limiting a 30A radial to six sockets while a 30A ring could serve any number of sockets up to 1000 sq. ft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back