Nuts & Bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sample of a bolt that I need to order.
How can I find out what size it is to enquire on the net.
Does it go by the bolt thread outside diameter?
It measures 7.5mm bolt thread o.d.
It needs to be 8" long so I think it will be a special?

Henry. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
what type of bolt, what type of thread, whats it for?

It has a hexagon nut and it is for securing a finial to a summerhouse.
I don't know what the thread is. I assume it is metric?

Is this a relatively recently purchased summer house? Or an 'antique' that's been in the garden for years? If a new jobbie then it's gonna be metric. any local hardware shop, wickes, etc should have one in.

I'll hazard a guess it's an M8 (8mm thick thread)

Sponsored Links

Is this a relatively recently purchased summer house? Or an 'antique' that's been in the garden for years? If a new jobbie then it's gonna be metric. any local hardware shop, wickes, etc should have one in.

I'll hazard a guess it's an M8 (8mm thick thread)

I nipped to B & Q today to compare it with an M8.
It is not the same. This measures 7.5mm dia.
It is a new part so you would expect it to be an M8.

Henry.:) :) :)

There is very little around the 7.5mm major Diameter size, can you count how many turns there are over a 1" length of thread as there are a couple of ASME threads that are close but not very common.

I'm more inclined to say its a cheap far eastern thread either one of the 5/16" ones or M8, if we know the pitch it will help to narrow things down.

Haw are you measuring the diameter and with what. If its a rolled thread and you are measureing the plain part of the shank this could well be 7.5 as thats about right for a rolled M8. If you are just using a rule or tape then 0.5mm either way is possible.

Jason

I measured both on their outside thread diameters.
I used calipers.
first thing tomorrow I'll ring the manufacturer and see if they can tell me.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Henry.

There is very little around the 7.5mm major Diameter size, can you count how many turns there are over a 1" length of thread as there are a couple of ASME threads that are close but not very common.

I'm more inclined to say its a cheap far eastern thread either one of the 5/16" ones or M8, if we know the pitch it will help to narrow things down.

Haw are you measuring the diameter and with what. If its a rolled thread and you are measureing the plain part of the shank this could well be 7.5 as thats about right for a rolled M8. If you are just using a rule or tape then 0.5mm either way is possible.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back