NZ Gun Law

Ban the far right.
The problem is when so many far-right post their vile hatred on social media sites, that ideology becomes a consensus of opinion, and becomes accepted as the norm. Anything slightly left of that far-right extremism is described as far left extremism to be pilloried, ridiculed and abused. Just like the regular abusive posters on here are so abusive to others who don't share their political opinions.

Sponsored Links
Because in real terms the majority of people aren't using them to break the law.
Irrelevant. Those gun lovers can get their kicks down at the club. Guns are unnecessary and should be banned. There is no need for them in everyday life and it will prevent mass shootings. Guns are the psycho cowards weapon of choice and he should have that taken away from him.

Would you be happy if the UK were to adopt the US 'guns for everyone' way of life? No one on this forum would except maybe you sammi? You can betcha mass shootings would be on the increase just like the ridiculously massive amount they have in the gun rich USofA.

Because in real terms the majority of people aren't using them to break the law.

Figures suggest there is almost 1 gun to every one person in the states. (Pew Research Centre)
In real terms this is about 4 in 10 people.
Most people in the US look at Gun owners in an overall positive way.
For a lot people they have a function for a firearm other than just protection. Many use them for huting, sport or part of their job.
The majority of gun owners feel it is important to follow safe practices.
The availability of illegal guns are more likely to be contributing to crime than legally obtained guns are.
In 2016 there were 11,004 murder victims by firearm. (15,070 total).
As a percentage of the population that's 0.00336% killed by firearm.

So for the majority of law abiding gun owners there isn't a need to have them banned.

But 50% of all guns in USA are owned by 3% of population.

I dont agree your argument regarding the USA isnt the top of homicide by gun rates - all the countries with higher rates are unstable nations. Try comparing America to Europe, UK, Australia, Japan etc.

America has gun ownership deeply embeded in its culture. It doesnt matter which way the arguments are framed, long term the only way to lower gun deaths is to end the number of guns and liberal gun ownership. There is no need for the generalmpublic to own guns that can kill.

Thr number of deaths snd injuries is not worth more than the loss of peoples hobby, owning and firing guns.

Sponsored Links
But 50% of all guns in USA are owned by 3% of population

It'll be difficult to use them all at one time then. Actually gun owners is closer to 1/3 and those who have access to is said to be closer to 1/2.

I dont agree your argument regarding the USA isnt the top of homicide by gun rates - all the countries with higher rates are unstable nations. Try comparing America to Europe, UK, Australia, Japan etc.

Well it isn't. If you want to base it purely on developed nations then the results returned higher but I can't find easily the data which shows what percentage were legal gun owners. There are suggestions that the illegal use of guns are likely high contributing factor.

Thr number of deaths snd injuries is not worth more than the loss of peoples hobby, owning and firing guns.

So surely we should ban cars too? Before someone says 'we need them to do XYZ daily' - as I've said, some people see guns in the same light.

So surely we should ban cars too? Before someone says 'we need them to do XYZ daily' - as I've said, some people see guns in the same light
That is a strawman argument, as you well know.

Well it isn't. If you want to base it purely on developed nations then the results returned higher but I can't find easily the data which shows what percentage were legal gun owners. There are suggestions that the illegal use of guns are likely high contributing factor.
If gun ownership is very small in a country, then the number of deaths by guns are very small. I know the NRA in America like to pick out statistics to prove otherwise, but the reality is simple -tight gun laws, low public gun ownership means fewer deaths.

The number of deaths and injuries per year in America is a huge tragedy. A very personal tragedy for those relatives that have lost family members. And it goes on year in year out because nobody will accept the truth: guns kill.

11,000 deaths PA in US
26 in UK (equivalent 130).

Which country has tighter gun laws: the UK

The illegal gun v legal gun argument is a red herring: I could argue there are illegal guns in the UK, but deaths rates are still tiny.

In a country with very tight gun control, the number of people that have access to illegal guns is very very tiny.

Sponsored Links
Back