Oak Door Has Been Ruined!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can give me some advice?

In March I had a bespoke oak door fitted and paid a lot of money for it. Naturally the wood has been settling and has swelled etc. I asked the joiner who fitted the door to come back and take some off. He did this at the weekend and has totally knackered the door in my opinion. He said that he would take it off the side the opposite side to the way it opens and he didnt and ended up slipping with the plane and has taken far too much off in the top corner of the opening side so much so that there is now a 1/2" gap starting about 6 inches down going diagonally.

He is on about coming back tonight chopping a bit out and sticking a new piece in but won't it look odd? I am thinking about putting 2 corner mouldings on the door to match so that you will not see the mess he has left!!!

Any ideas?!!! :( :

Sponsored Links
"slipped with the plane"!!!!!!!!!
the most you will take off with a plane is 4mm the average is about 1.5mm

give the man a chance to make good to your satisfaction
make shure he dosnt use any steel or iron nails or screws they will react with the tannin in the oak and cause black marks and streaks

the doors should idealy be a total off 6to 8 mm smaller than the opening [3 or 4mm all round]what is the total gap you have

may be more satisfactory to have a 7mm gap each side if the repair isnt satisfactory or a new door isnt an option!!!!

as BA says, give him a chance to rectify if possible. If still no good, new door at his expense. Wouldn't advise that he attempts to fit it though.

Just out of interest what kind of screws / nails should you use in oak (although I wouldn't think there should be any screws or nails in a door)

brass or stainless steel applies to hinges as well these are the ideal kiddies bronze washers not steel
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101669&ts=37956&id=10511

the reason i said about steel if he has used any he may not be "up to speed" about this point[and others]
then if he screw and glues a plugs a sutable piece of wood eventualy the black will leach through and the metal will disolve

Sponsored Links
Apart from the hinges and door furniture that is, ahem ...

I really want to trust this guy because he made such a good job of fitting it in the first place but this was my favourite thing in the whole house and I am gutted!!

where the hinges and screws brass!!!!!

is the total gap more than 14mm [both sides added together]!!!!!

how large is the dammage!!!!
and what are you doing to finnish the door!!!!

if he is worth his salt you should be 95% happy with the repair

The hinges and screws are are antique black ironmongery

The gap is a good 1/2" (i can put my index finger in the gap at the top)

I am using a Dulux sealer and Dulux exterior finish

ok so your hinges may start leeching black unless they are specialy treated

are you talking a clear finnish or paint!!!

if you take the 12mm gap on one side and the gap on the other side what do you get !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back