Oak Door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am having the whole house plastered at the moment and eventually want to have new solid oak door linings. Would it be okay to get the door openings plumb (already the case where I am ripping out existing door linings) where I have built new stud walls, get the plastering done and then fit in the door lining and architrave afterwards?

This will mean that they don't get dirty and also, I can get the right width, taking into account the thickness of the plaster.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely. Only insane people would have a room replastered with architraves and skirting still in place.
Almost as bad as those that have ceilings skimmed around light fittings.

But shouldn't the door lining go in first, so the plaster skim can be made flush to it before the architrave is put on?

But if the door lining went in first, your skim coat will make the wall thicker and therefore there could be a gap between the architrave and door lining. Is that the risk?

Sponsored Links
Linings should be proud of wall by 2-3mm to allow for skim, then plasterer can work to them. You can protect the edges of the timber while it's skimmed.

why not just fix them in afterwards and be sure not to damage them during plastering?

Because then the wall won't be precisely the right thickness for the lining. It will end up either sticking out too far, or not enough, for the architrave.

But shouldn't the door lining go in first, so the plaster skim can be made flush to it before the architrave is put on?
On better quality work it is quite normal to make up plywood and softwood temporary frames (to the exact size required - these act as rules for the plasterer to work to) for the door openings which are removed before you install the finished casings/frames/linings. That way you don't have to spend ages cleaning-up the mess invariably left by the plasterers. It all depends on the quality of the joinery work, really - for painted softwood I'd tend to just install the casing/frame/lining and live with the clear-up. You do need to ensure that the spread does his job, though and finishes bang on to the woodwork. Some of them don't understand the need to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
If my stud timbers are square and plumb, inst that sufficient?
I don't want the eventual door linings to get dirty...

If my stud timbers are square and plumb, inst that sufficient?
I don't want the eventual door linings to get dirty...
Not really. The plasterer still needs rules to work to if you want his work to be precise. That's why you use them on the best quality jobs - absolutely essential when doing internal door frames with no architraves. In reality it depends on how near to perfection you want to be..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back