oak floor - wide room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere...

I'm planning to lay a solid wood boards onto a concrete floor.
My plan was to go with a floating floor, on top of a DPM / acoustic underlay and to glue the joints together. However, I've seen a couple of caveats along the lines of "as long as the room isn't more than 5m wide"

The room is 5mx6m - am I going to run into problems here or should I look at doing this another way? i.e. glueing to the floor or secret nailing to a plywood base?

Thanks in advance for any help.
cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
With a room of 5 meter wide and solid oak floorboards you need 20mm expansion gap.
No matter which installation method you use. Hope your boards aren't very wide.

Hi, Thanks for the advice.
The floor is being laid into a 'new room' so I can make the expansion gap as big as required - 20mm it is then!
I haven't bought the boards yet, but will be keeping well within the 10x thickness rule.. probably going with a 150mm board.

If you haven't bought the floor yet, you might want to consider wood-engineered boards: much stabler in wider rooms - smaller expansion gaps and wider boards possible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back