Oak flooring lifting

K9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a 18 mm thick B&Q Oak floor layed about 18 months ago and it has started to lift near to the door way. There was an expansion gap left around the perimeter of the room, except against the architrave at the base of the door. I have noticed that the oak is very tight to the base and I suspect this is causing the lift. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I could rectify the problem without taking the whole floor up? The tongue and groove is glued and is floating over floorboards, with B&Q foam underlay in between.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is just the architrave you could just remove it from around the door, cut it shorter and re-fit

However, if it is pressing up against the actual door framethen:

1. Tape over the oak flooring around the door frame to protect the flooring
2. Place a fine toothed hand saw as flat as possible on the floor and cut into the frame
3. You will now have a section of the frame cut and loose between th wall and flooring but cannot get it out
4. Use a chisel to split the cut piece into small sections and pull them out
5. Seal the gap between the bottom of the frame and flooring with a small bead of silicone

If you want a really close finish try and see if you can hire a Bosch Tenon saw - see this link http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/Tool_Reviews/bosch_gfs_350_e.htm

I fit flooring and always use one of these to cut around door frames before fitting the flooring and the floor looks very neat as it vanishes under the frame

Thanks alot chkee, much appreciated. I'll try to hire the Bosch GFS 350 E. and I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Thanks Chkee, that seems like great advice; I think I'll try to get hold of the tenon saw. I have scoured the net but only seem to be able to find spare blades. Have you (or anyone else) got any suggestions where I may locate the tool.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chkee, that seems like great advice; I think I'll try to get hold of the tenon saw. I have scoured the net but only seem to be able to find spare blades. Have you (or anyone else) got any suggestions where I may locate the tool.

Thanks

Looks like they stopped making it, I bought mine a couple of years ago from London Power Tools (020 7237 9884) they might be able to find you one

um strange, i normaly get sent every new tool on the market for flooring to test, i have never seen this one before! Either its a piece of crap or bosch never advertised or tried to sell the thing to the flooring trade wholesalers?

looking at the pic it dont look like a bad tool either! Maybe they was being tight and would not give one out to be tested? Shame really because it looks a good bit of kit! But saying that i dont think bosch has ever given anything away to see if it does what it says on the box. Not to the flooring trade anyway!

This tool has been around for a number of years now and very good it is too but you are right bosch have discontinued it - although you can still get spares and repairs.

An alternative machine would be a Fein multimaster - that would do the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back