Oak flooring question

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I think I need a bit of reassurance.
I got a builder to lay an oak floor for me - 2cm planks T+G all round.
The floor was layed at right angles ontop of the worn out pine T+G to ensure that it cancelled out any waves in the original floor. It was then professionally sanded and finished - so far so good.
I have noticed that it is now "peaking" where the planks meet along the long edges. The flooring is not floated, but was nailed through the tongue every 14" or so. The oak was stored in the room for about 6 months before laying. Is this something to do with the humid weather we having at the moment, and will it all return to normal i.e. level when the weather changes?
I'm a bit (no, a lot) worried about this....
Thank you
Roger

Sponsored Links
The flooring is not floated, but was nailed through the tongue every 14" or so.
Any adhesive involved?

Sounds right for T&G on the wall, but this is not a method of fitting flooring that I'm familiar with.

Sorry, I'm not sounding very re-assuring am I :cry:

Hi Roger

We installed an oak floor earlier this year. Only 1cm thick, not 2, (they call it 'overlay') and the supplier recommended nailing through the tongues, drilling pilot holes and using specially hardened nails. It is the way to do it. My husband (belt and braces as usual) glued it as well. The same thing happened - long ridges. However, they haven't got any worse, the floor's been down almost 6 months, looks beautiful, and you only notice the ridges when you reach down to touch it, which we still do, frequently.

Don't worry. Wood is a natural product and it will move a bit. Slight ridges better than gaps?

Linda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back