Oak floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer we put some oak floors down. The wood had acclimatized in the house for a good 3 months before laying. As the walls were being plastered we hid the expansion gap under the skirting.

Over the course of the winter the floors have shrunk. So much so that there is a 1/2 cm gap between the floors and skirting all around the room not to mention some big gaps between the boards in the middle of the room.

In the bedroom there are fitted wardrobes on top of the floor so lifting would be very difficult and I don't want to use quadrant.

Are there any solutions for this problem?

Sponsored Links
well to me it sounds like you had wet works going on while the flooring was aclimatising, plaster etc.

The flooring would of soaked in the extra moister from the air and grown. Now you have laid it and the property is drying, so is the flooring.

I think it is floating also, hence it has shrank away from the skirts rather than the whole floor shrinking between boards and giving it a balanced shrinkage rather than the whole lot shrinking as a mass.

the bad news is..... the whole lot will need to come up and be re fitted if possible or you need to raise the moister level in the house, this will happen on its own when your heating is turned off, but it will not grow as much as you would like it to!

Sponsored Links
What type of heating do you have? Winter = heating season = dry air = shrinkage of wood.

The air humidity has been very very low this winter and is just now getting higher. If you can, wait a while to see if this higher humidity will expand the floor back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back