Oak Kitchen Worktop plaster stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my kitchen plastered recently, and unfortunately the worktop wasn't completely protected, with plaster getting onto the oak worktop.

plaster stain 1.JPG plaster stain 2.JPG

Some of the stains appear quite light, others darker and I expect deeper into the wood. I've uploaded a video with all of the stains here (with the pointing finger of doom):

The areas right next to the walls will be plastered, so it's mainly the stains which are more than around 1cm from the wall which are of concern.

The kitchen install company went bust halfway through the install, so I don't know if they applied any kind of wood protection (oil or varnish), especially beneath the sink.

So my plan of attack is:
  1. Remove the sink and get a gas engineer to remove the hob
  2. Buy a sander and sand down the surface
  3. Hope and pray that sanding can remove the stains
  4. Apply oil or varnish (Sadolin PV67) to all visible surfaces (including any underside I can access) - 3 coats, let dry
  5. Replace sink and get a gas engineer to refit the hob
It could be that the worktop will need to be replaced, but hopefully some sanding will solve the problem.

Does this approach make sense? And are there any sanders anyone can recommend? An orbital sander won't be able to get into the corners so I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Bosch-PSM-100-A-Multi-Sander---100W/p/132179

Any advice would be most welcome!

Sponsored Links
It’s the water content of the plaster leaving the stain , if you can get heat to the area over tissue it will evaporate the moisture.(tissue will absorb).

Sponsored Links
It’s the water content of the plaster leaving the stain , if you can get heat to the area over tissue it will evaporate the moisture.(tissue will absorb).
Oak that gets wet doesn't dry out cleanly, in my experience, especially plaster or cement stains.:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back