Oak veneer doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mum's getting her flat spruced up including replacement of all internal doors. She likes the oak effect. Are there any manufacturers/retailers we should definitely steer clear of (e.g. B&Q don't always get good reviews) and similarly what manufacturers/retailers do the trade generally trust? I've been looking at Jewson, any good?

Sponsored Links
Mum's getting her flat spruced up including replacement of all internal doors. She likes the oak effect. Are there any manufacturers/retailers we should definitely steer clear of (e.g. B&Q don't always get good reviews) and similarly what manufacturers/retailers do the trade generally trust? I've been looking at Jewson, any good?
Always thought Jewson were the most expensive BM.

Slightly confused as a BM hasn't really got anything to do with door manufacture; their only job is to buy them in and punt them onto you.

I'm pleased with the XL Joinery Salerno glazed doors I fitted throughout; I bought mine at a time when they were about 140 quid each unfinished, but I do now wish I'd bought the factory lacquered ones for 180, because I prefer the colour of them compared to how mine went when oiled.

Choice over again I'd oil them with osmo Polyx raw rather than osmo door, but I was taken in by recommendations to use a specific door oil that's thicker, less likely to soak through the veneer and potentially damage the glue, peeling the veneer

Or I'd lacquer them

They're typically ordered through BMs only, and I don't recall seeing a shed carrying them. Mostly they seem to be getting on for 200 to 250 a door these days, with the bizarre exception of these lovely variants at build4less:

Only one size is 120 quid though, the rest are more like double that

Last edited:
Always thought Jewson were the most expensive BM.
Me too, until they made a bit of a pricing confusion on some roof battens last year and let me have 25x38 blue for 48p a meter inc VAT when my preferred independent BM wanted 77. Bought 20 packs and also managed to get them to price match wickes on some 2x3 CLS which, for some bizarre reason, was two thirds the price of anyone else. I think the staff have some reasonable leeway to decide what to charge you :)

Sponsored Links
+1 for howdens.
The doors they sell are straight.
The likes of Wickes, b&q and others are hit and miss.
You need to check the doors one by one and be lucky.
Said that, I bought several doors in the years from selco and they've been straight and solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back