Oak worktop on the wall as a splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Can a hardwood oak worktop be used as a splashback in the kitchen?
I wanted to get a 615mmx3000mmx22mm oak worktop and glue/screw it to the drywall (external wall) to match the actual oak worktop in the kitchen. Something like in the attached picture.
I was discouraged from doing that by the shop which sold these worktops. They said it would warp and be too heavy to attach to the wall.

Do you agree with them?

Thanks

Attachments

• 180_720x480.jpg
    180_720x480.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
It's probably lighter or similar in weight than several boxes of wall tiles.

The weight is downward, so it's weight is resting on the worktop below it. I would just say it's just a case of adequately sticking it to the wall. I would leave it in the kitchen for a few days to acclimatise, then bead on a few tubes of fix all. If something comes off the wall, it tends to be the paint on the wall that detaches. Possibly the idea in the photo is to screw it the wall as well and cover the screw holes with oak plugs.

An 8ft by 4ft shower board is simply glued to the wall, can't really see much difference to your idea.

If it's because you like the look, rather than because you already have one you have no other use for, it might be cheaper to buy engineered oak flooring.

I used worktop in a kitchen for an upstand ( it added extra depth to the worktop which helped with the design)and also for the sills to tie in with the worktops.Also helped to box in pipe under boiler.

Sponsored Links
I used worktop in a kitchen for an upstand ( it added extra depth to the worktop which helped with the design)and also for the sills to tie in with the worktops.Also helped to box in pipe under boiler.

Have you noticed warping or any other issues where you have the worktop under the boiler?
Also, how did you fix it to the wall? Screws or glue?

If it's because you like the look, rather than because you already have one you have no other use for, it might be cheaper to buy engineered oak flooring.
I just like the look of it. I can't go with engineered wood because I need it to match the worktop.

No warping, glued upstand and sills, boiler pipe cover uses concealed fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back