Objecting to planning for 2.5m fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place for a question like this, apologies if not.

My neighbour has applied for planning permission to increase our boundary fence to 2.5m, it's currently 2m. Their stated reasons for doing so in the application are to protect our privacy since they have built a new raised deck. How nice of them to think of us! But in reality they are having to apply for retrospective planning permission for the deck, it's too high given they have a split level garden.

My first thought was an extra half a metre, so who cares, but after measuring how high the fence would be I am concerned it would look too imposing. Also I don't believe that there are any privacy issues with the current 2m fence, even with their new decking. Ideally I should be able to go round and discuss this nicely with them, but sadly it appears that this is not possible.

From what I understand about objecting is that only valid planning matters are considered. So I am wondering what would valid planning matters be in a situation like this. I can only think of loss of light which isn't really a valid issue in this situation.

But what about the fact that this is a boundary fence, do I really have no say in this? They paid for the original fence so I guess legally it's theirs. But do I really have no say in the type of posts, panels, style of the fence, especially as I will be looking at the "bad" side of the fence. So what's the law on this?

Any help most appreciated.

Bob

Sponsored Links
So I am wondering what would valid planning matters be in a situation like this

That's not the way to be thinking. That's implying that you want to object regardless, and just what to know what reasons to use.

Fundamentally, you need to define what objections you actually have, and then state them. If well framed and written, rather than an emotional rant, the planners will pick out the valid points.

Responsibility for the boundary, as defined on the deeds, is different to ownership of any fence on the boundary. However that won't help, as anyone can put up their own additional fence on their own side of the boundary.

Loss of light into a garden, carries a lot less weight than into a home. Use overshadowing.

Concentrate on amenity - ie your enjoyment of your home. And link it to wellbeing.

"Domineering" and "overbearing" are good adjectives, which can be effective when carefully phrased.

Bear in mind that if permission, or exemption is granted for the decking, then the higher fence may be beneficial to you.

And a taller fence may be better than an even taller hedge.

On the subject of trees rather than fences, when we moved into this property the back garden is surrounded by half dead leylandia. I took one hedge down which was around 15 foot high. It was mine and I did get the agreement of my neighbour. I replaced that with a six foot fence although I did use the UPVC type fence as that gave us and my neighbour the same looking fence. At the back we have two hedges, one behind the other, leylandia again, (if anything should banned it should be leylandia) my hedge is tidy although dead in places where it has been cut back too far but my back neighbour's hedge is a mess and I cannot reach it from my side. I did ask her if I could get rid of both the hedges but she said no. I have put a fence up in front of my hedge but there is no way I am going to cut down my hedge because then hers would just encroach into my fence and of course you also have the hassle of cutting the damn things. Anyway my advice is stick with the fence even though it might be 2.5 meters. Much much easier and less hassle than a hedge and ultimately your neighbour might just have to stick with their 2 meter fence anyway.

Perhaps request that the upper part of the fence is changed for trellis, with some climbing plants clipped along it's length.

Nothing wrong with Leylandii, as long as you trim them (on all sides) a couple of times a year.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone, very useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back