Obsolete cold water tank....how to empty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, been looking in the loft above the kitchen and I find water tank full of old scummy water. Since there is a combi boiler (and for a good while prior to us living there) it must have been sitting like that for years. The tank type is a wooden box and metal (zinc/lead?) lined, with a floating ball valve on top, but am certain its not in use.

How do I empty the thing???

There are various outlet pipes running from it - plastic it would seem, but I have no idea where they might run to, if they are still valid etc. Do I need to get a pump or is there a straightforward method to emptying?

Sponsored Links
Use a hose to siphon out the water.

But first run EVERY tap and flush every bog in the building to make sure it is not in use.

Does the tank fill if you push the ball valve arm down?

I will double check with flushing but only had my first access up there yesterday so was more concerned with a few other things and only had a quick look. Judging by the mucky film on top of the water it aint been moving recently.

For syphoning, how do I get it started? I was wanting to run a hose down to either the sink or toilet so would need to be fairly long - do you try and sook it and hope not to swallow any? :evil: Does that empty it to the bottom of the tank?

Would be a bit careful there, stagnant water is a cause of legionnaire;s disease,
But yes use a hose and hand protection.

Get hold of a small electric pump and pump into a container you can seal.

Sponsored Links
I have neither of these things....what would be the cheapest siphon? Can one be made?

Simply fill the hose pipe with water from a tap,
plug one end, insert other end in tank, get assistant to remove plug- job done ;)

Yeah, I saw them from googling so might try that. Do these type of cold water tanks have any way of manually draining via a valve or tap usually and I am making things complex?

A drain valve is most unlikely, but if you can trace the outlet pipes, they will be capped off somewhere.
Kidgreens syphoning method works fine, Machine Mart do a multipurpose hand pump if you want.
John :)

I came across this situation a few years ago... turned out the tank had deliberately been position to catch a leak in the roof.

Tank emptied and moved and then water through the ceiling 6 weeks later.

no need to syphon and risk drinking it, or to spend money on a pump.

use a mug to ladle it out into a bucket and carry away. Use a sponge for the remnants at the bottom. If you are wise enough to have kept a plastic paint tub and its lid, the lid will prevent spills.

If you are going to leave it a while to test for roof leaks, sponge it clean and wipe with bleach which will kill bacteria and moulds.

Siphon with a hose pipe, just prime the hose with water from a tap.

Siphon with a hose pipe, just prime the hose with water from a tap.
i presume you mean fire some water uphill from the sink to the tank to fill the hose, and then stop it and the siphon action should then begin to draw all the water back down?

Attach hose to or hold under bath tap
fill the hose up in the bath
thumb over both ends/have a pal helping at one end
Take the filled hose or one end of it up to the tank
One end goes in the tank, the other end is down to the sink/bath,
remove cap/finger .....
.... water draining from hose starts the syphoning action..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back