Odd boiler noise after service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..though it might be me being over sensitive.

Just had our baxi solo 3 serviced. Engineer said there was nothing wrong with it other than the cooling fan impeller had come off the top of the motor on the top of the fan and he cleaned the heat exchanger etc, did exhaust gas analysis and charged me a very reasonable price for an hours work.

However, since he's gone the boiler sounds to me (and this is the best way i can describe it) like its 'panting'. Its making a constant and regular but but very gentle 'whooping' noise. This is when the boiler is running normally, i can see the flame burning steadily through the viewing window, and the boiler seems to be working properly. From outside the flue noise is normal and constant and i can't actually hear this whooping noise right next to the boiler, just when i've closed the door to under stairs area where the boiler is. It also seems to be lighting more noisily than i remember.

However, in terms of producing hot water for the radiators it does seem to be working perfectly.

To be honest, it may have been making this noise before the service and i didn't notice so i'm reluctant to call the engineer back for something that i'm not sure is any different to how it was before the service.

Does what i describe sound like a fault and if so what is it likely to be? Do i need to call the engineer back?

Sponsored Links
Very hard to say without being there, but if the impeller has been slightly bent it could be brushing against something, I would give him a call expressing your concern but wouldn't worry too much,

No its not the impeller.

The little plastic impeller had come off the top of the fan and was broken so there was no way of refitting. Engineer said that its been off for quite a few years by the look of it, its an additional cooling fan Baxi fitted because they'd had problems with the fan overheating and as my fan motor was still working perfectly it wasn't worth replacing as you apparently can't just get the plastic impeller and would need to replace the whole fan unit.

Sponsored Links
anyone?

I'd be grateful for any advice before i call the engineer back unnecessarily.

the fan impeller is often broken on these and isn't important
the sound you get is it on start up or when running? if its on start up then look at a replacement gas valve solenoid this often cures sluggish ignitions
if it occurs when running then get the fan lubricated (not with WD40) but a high temperature silicone as it is most likely the fan isn't running at the correct speed constantly so products of combustion build up.

the plastic impellor is there to cool the fan motor.....it is important.

you can get them separately but christ knows where from.....bloke in a van delivers mine. :D

Agreed replace it as it helps stop the motor bearing overheating.

I'll post part number tomorrow. I carry them as part of van stock and use the Baxi supplied ones to replace them on many Sifan fans that have them fitted.

Wonder if combustion box door has been clamped shut properly, possibly seal on fan outlet requires replacing. Just trying to think of things that would been disturbed during a svc.

Its not a fan noise and the noise is only when the boiler is running.

Combustion box seal would make sense. If there was a slight air leak into the burner box might this make the whooping noise? I think the reason i noticed it was that the engineer briefly ran the boiler without the front on and it made a much louder but similar noise to the one i can faintly hear now.

Would that fit my symptoms?

Agreed replace it as it helps stop the motor bearing overheating.

I'll post part number tomorrow. I carry them as part of van stock and use the Baxi supplied ones to replace them on many Sifan fans that have them fitted.

I'd be grateful for that if you could. I'll source the part and then get the engineer to fit. I think i'll be calling him back to check this noise.

hi there im new to this site and i hope you dont mind me asking. i noticed that you had changed the bearings on a wma30 hotpoint washing machine it seems easy enough but i cant get the pins holding the drum to the lower suspension legs to move . could you please explain how you managed to do it i would be most gratefull cheers.
..though it might be me being over sensitive.

Just had our baxi solo 3 serviced. Engineer said there was nothing wrong with it other than the cooling fan impeller had come off the top of the motor on the top of the fan and he cleaned the heat exchanger etc, did exhaust gas analysis and charged me a very reasonable price for an hours work.

However, since he's gone the boiler sounds to me (and this is the best way i can describe it) like its 'panting'. Its making a constant and regular but but very gentle 'whooping' noise. This is when the boiler is running normally, i can see the flame burning steadily through the viewing window, and the boiler seems to be working properly. From outside the flue noise is normal and constant and i can't actually hear this whooping noise right next to the boiler, just when i've closed the door to under stairs area where the boiler is. It also seems to be lighting more noisily than i remember.

However, in terms of producing hot water for the radiators it does seem to be working perfectly.

To be honest, it may have been making this noise before the service and i didn't notice so i'm reluctant to call the engineer back for something that i'm not sure is any different to how it was before the service.

Does what i describe sound like a fault and if so what is it likely to be? Do i need to call the engineer back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back