odd looking radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5F7A3358-E715-4B25-85FB-02FF7ED22506.jpeg
Hi. Im just about to remove a radiator prior to plastering and have come across this odd rad valve (pic attached). The left side is a standard thermo valve but this is on the right. I’ve gone to turn to it off (fully right) but it’s already fully right and the radiator is on. Is it likely the valve is knackered or should it be turned left to turn off. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the hex nut there is just a cap. Screw it off anticlockwise and you should find an allen key slot underneath it. This should be turned clockwise to shut the valve.

Thanks. I was thinking that but just wasn’t certain and didn’t want water pouring through the ceiling

I suspect that the top nut is just a cover. Undo it anticlockwise s l o w l y (in case it begins leaking). Underneath should be a screw, or similar, which you turn clockwise to shut off. Count how many turns(e.g 2 1/2) you need to shut off; then reopen the same number when the rad has been replaced.

Sponsored Links
I think the hex nut there is just a cap. Screw it off anticlockwise and you should find an allen key slot underneath it. This should be turned clockwise to shut the valve.
Great (Sussex) minds etc! :D

Have some old towels ready. In my experience it will pi$$ water out.
It looks to be "Many Moons" since it was last used.

Just removed the cap although I think the valve is a little past it’s sell by date. I started to turn it off and it still ****ed out water anyway regardless of what position it’s in. Why do simple jobs never end up being straight forward. Grrrr

The rad is probably emptying.
Screw it down quick and replace the cap.
Then drain the rad.

I’ve already done that thanks. I’ll pick up a new valve and get the old one on the antiques road show

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back