Odd (maybe not) telephone question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new and have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm having a major refurb done to my house. It's going to take six months and during that time we're moving out, two doors up.

I want to maintain my telephone and internet and so plan simply to rig my existing telephone line from my place to the neighbouring house where we're staying. There's a clear line of sight between the two.

I have an overhead BT 4 pair drop cable coming in attached to my chimney stack. How do you suggest I rig it.

Here's what I was going to do -

Connect a length of cable to the drop cable on my roof and run it over to the neighbouring roof, from there connect it to the BT switch (taken from my house) and Bob's your uncle. Unless you know otherwise?

What cable shall I use, BT drop cable or just the white internal stuff taped to a suspending cord.

How should I join the wires?

Please could you tell me the cable and connectors you think I should use.

It doesn't have to be pretty, it's coming down in six months.

Sponsored Links
If it is only temporary, standard CW1308 phone cable would do..........not ideal ;)

Use some jelly crimps for the join.

You do know you should not be doing this?

if both houses are with bt may be easier or cheaper at the exchange!!!!

Thanks Lectrician, I guessed it might be a bit of a no no.

Big All, thanks for your input - It's a BT line but I fully signed up with tiscali on a flat rate. Are you saying I could just let BT or Tiscali know and they would arrange for my line to go to the other house? This sounds costly compared with 35 metres of phone cable and some simple rigging.

Sponsored Links
havent got a clue realy without asking you wont know

suspect its a no no unless the lines are under the same providers

i have a hands free phone set and i can get perfect reception 4 doors down
so perhaps if you can get a base station near a window or in a shed you may get good/perfect reception 2 doors down!!!

you could use normal extensions that plug into the main socket you can get them up to 25m long

Its best to just run a temporary wire , if you went down the official route it would cost you a fortune , just run your temp wire and connect it and keep the connections dry .

If there was an active phone socket at the other house (active as in still connected, not necessarily in service), then the 'official' route would be free of charge.

You would go through to home movers, give them a date and a time, and the line would shift. It is that easy, and free.

BUT - and the big but.....

If your ADSL is with a company other than BT (and occasionally even if it is with BT), your ADSL will not shift with the line, and you will be without that for a week or two while your provider sorts the shift.

You will also find your 12 month contract renewed at the time of move.

I did it today. Kept the BT socket at my place and strung some extension wire overhead - works a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back