Odd sound from upstairs drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, and during gusts of wind it seems the shower cubical and sink drain makes an odd sound, what could be causing this - any hints for me to look for? Real basic knowledge here!
thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm gonna guess they both drain into the soil pipe and when it's windy you get a pressure differential causing the noise. My toilet water fluctuates slightly during strong winds

Sponsored Links
Air passing over the top of the vent stack causes a slight negative pressure, and draws air up and out of the stack, The Victorians utililised this, with the addition of a Low Level air intake at the boundary, to ventilate the house drainage system. The Low Level vents ceased to be fitted a long time ago, but the action of air passing over the stack still serves to ventilate the drainage system, in windy conditions the effect is greater and so it is likely the water levels of WC's and other appliance traps may be affected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back