Oddity With Dewalt Impact Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought this extension driver set https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-6...x9cjd7Cx1ku4n6-IOXhoCCBAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds but (here's the key) I bought it pretty cheap off Marketplace (apparently new), however the outer sleeve slides up and down as per the photos (on both extensions). It works just fine as it doesn't slide about during use but surely the outer sleeve is not supposed to slide up and down? Or is it and I'm being thick?

d1.jpeg d2.jpeg d3.jpeg d4.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hmm that's a bit crap, the bloke in the video was incompetent, his reasoning was kind of what I was resigned to thinking that that's what it was for but I can't say I've ever had a problem. Hmm.

Sponsored Links
If you'd ever driven a lot of slotted head screws you'd understand the need for the sleeve. Driven at speed (after all the reason why you buy an impact driver) the bit will often tend to slide out of the screw head, and skate merrily across your work (not nice if it happens to be a polished piece of furniture), particularly if the screw is worn. The sleeve prevents that.

The sleeves are almost sod all use with steel Torx, Phillips or Pozi screws in my experience, for which a magnetic bit holder is far better - but it may be of use for those pesky non-magnetic stainless steel, brass and bronze screws you sometimes have to deal with

Last edited by a moderator:
So I bought this extension driver set https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-6...x9cjd7Cx1ku4n6-IOXhoCCBAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds but (here's the key) I bought it pretty cheap off Marketplace (apparently new), however the outer sleeve slides up and down as per the photos (on both extensions). It works just fine as it doesn't slide about during use but surely the outer sleeve is not supposed to slide up and down? Or is it and I'm being thick?

View attachment 305668 View attachment 305669 View attachment 305670 View attachment 305671

Mine does that.

If you'd ever driven a lot of slotted head screws you'd understand the need for the sleeve. Driven at speed (after all the reason why you buy an impact driver) the bit will often tend to slide out of the screw head, and skate merrily across your work (not nice if it happens to be a polished piece of furniture), particularly if the screw is worn. The sleeve prevents that.

The sleeves are almost sod all use with steel Torx, Phillips or Pozi screws in my experience, for which a magnetic bit holder is far better - but it may be of use for those pesky non-magnetic stainless steel, brass and bronze screws you sometimes have to deal with

I have one of those Dewalt sliding sleeves. They are magnetic.

I have one of those Dewalt sliding sleeves. They are magnetic.
Yes, but the point I was trying to make was that an open slotted bit is about as much use as a chocolate teapot when used in conjunction with an impact driver or a fast drill/driver, magnetic or otherwise, and is potentially of limited used with non-magnetic screws

Either way, a product of limited utility

Open slotted screws, do people still use them, utterly rubbish to use IME.
Yes they do. On jobs where brass screws are specified. For example we used a lot of round head brass screws on an Edwardian-style restaurant fit out I did in Manchester a few years back - loads of solid brass repro "ironmongery". Similarly we are using quite a few on the Victorian listed building I am working on at the moment - both brass and black japanned steel slotted screws in the high value areas.

I have also used black japanned steel screws in my own house on the black box locks we have on our doors (again a Victorian house, altough a couple of the box locks are repros) - bright countersink head screws would look awful IMHO

The only time I am happy to see a slotted screw is when I had to take a door off where the hinges (and hinge screws) have been painted a gazillion times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back