Xmas DIY Gadgets

I came across them at the garage about 7 or 8 years back when I needed the windscreen on my van replacing. Absolutely gob smacking idea

Sponsored Links
Oh, whilst not terribly se.xy, I have only recently come to appreciate air pump wedges. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-WEDGE-2PK-Wedge-Pack/dp/B08XZPQ76C/

When I saw the image of the airbag I had to laugh because it reminded of a Christmas about 30 years ago.
I was given a brew in the bag beer kit, the kind where you just add 20 pints of warm water and put in a warm place.
I decided to put it in the cupboard next to the fireplace where the hot water cylinder was. Having a coal fire and back boiler, it was the perfect place for it as it was always warm in there. It fitted perfectly in the space behind the cylinder.
I didn’t bargain for the expansion when it started to ferment. I couldn’t budge the thing and I couldn’t get to the tap to drain it, the strain it must have been putting on the cylinder and pipework must have been enormous.
I seem to remember having to remove the two shelves above the cylinder to give me room to manoeuvre the bl00dy thing out.
AD22B4C3-DF28-4211-98CA-B12C50ACFDFA.png

I came across them at the garage about 7 or 8 years back when I needed the windscreen on my van replacing. Absolutely gob smacking idea

I couple of years ago I turned up at work to discover that someone had managed to bend the top of the side door on my customer's van enough to be able to reach in and steal his tools. I couldn't understand why there were no crowbar marks on the door... until I discovered air wedges and realised that it was likely that the thief had used them to bend the door enough to enable him to get his fingers in and then bend the door downwards.

Sponsored Links
Sadly not that uncommon. I had wondered how they started the thing off - the ones we had at work in 2020 all looked as though a gorilla had pried thge door open with a concrete point. Three vans all in a row

Normally/previously (and apparently :whistle:) the air bag is used to open the door enough to get a wire or hook down to open the doors via the internal levers or locking buttons.

Perhaps the thieves are less caring nowadays

It's the side door they go after, @^woody^ because on many vans the sensor which detects the door being opened is in or adjacent to the lock, which is in the middle of the door. Bending the door down from the top that way will not set the alarm off.

Two of the three vans that got "done" on our site last time were write-offs - the little scrotes had creased the roof and the insurance reckoned it wasn't worth a new body shell on either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back