Off grid cabin with radiators - can I use a LPG tankless water heater to space heat the cabin and also heat a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently acquired a woodland with a log cabin. The cabin has 5 rooms including a shower room and is insulated. It is very much in need of repair throughout, but it also has [hot-water] radiators in some rooms which I believe used to be plumbed to a stove /back boiler [no longer there].

It also had a tankless water heater fitted outside [also no longer there], where the gas bottles stand which I assume made instant hot water for the shower.

My question is: can I use a LPG tankless water heater to do the shower hot water and also the space heating?

[edit] I guess I need something like a small combi boiler, but one that uses LPG instead of mains gas - are they available at all?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They use them in caravans. Do you have power? Do a search on LPG combi boilers for caravans. I might be wrong but I think most boilers can be made to run on LPG by changing the jets.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An LPG water water only heats up the water passing through the taps, so no radiator faciity.

You can get LPG combi boilers. Late father in law fitted one in his static to replace an instant water only heater. The heating (rads) were filled with antifreeze to survive the winter shut down on the 10 month site.
His was inside the caravan / dwelling.

Almost any brand of gas boiler will work with LPG from cylinders or bulk tanks - the burner jets are different but readily available.

No doubt one could be fitted in an outside enclosure if desired, rather than in the cabin itself.

They eat gas cylinders though and it's an expensive way to buy LPG. They are heavy and will need a suitable access track for delivery/cylinder exchange. If you already have gas cylinders it will save a hefty "rental" fee for them.

Multifuel boiler will run cleanly on wood from your woodland, or other material, can heat radiators and HW. And cost far far less to run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back