Wood Burning Stove & Solar Panel Heating System in Cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I would just like to check with you all how this system i've planned sounds, as I'm concerned whether i've got too much KW power behind it. Although i've called it a cabin, we are actually living in it a year round. Two adults, a child and a baby.

We are in a three room cabin with a porch and shower room in the main room. The whole cabin is insulated with 60mm celotex.

Bedroom 1 - 9 m3
Main Room - 30 m3
Bedroom 2 - 25 m3
Porch - 2 m3
Toliet - 4 m3

Bedroom 1 adjoins the main room with a large open door way so has no heating equipment.

The Main Room will have a 12kw Woodburner with Oven and Backboiler.* which will gravity feed to a 120L Twin coil cylinder.

*Woodburner
Max space output 5kw
Nom. space output 4kw
Max Water output 7kw
Nom. Water Output 5kw

The Cylinder will also be connected to a 15tube hot water solar panel. It will feed two hot taps and a shower used by three people daily.

The Shower Room will have a 1kw Heat sink Radiator.

Bedroom 2 will have a 2kw Radiator

so to recap...
70 m3 Cabin
5Kw Max space output
7Kw Max Water Output
15 tube Solar Panel
120 Liter Cylinder
1Kw Heat Leak
2 Kw Radiator

Is the water in the cylinder going to boil really easily? I've estimated we'd use a whole cylinder worth of water a day.

Thank you,[/b]

Sponsored Links
After a brief read of your details; I'd say you'll need a bigger hot water cylinder - for both the stove & the thermal solar panel.

With some careful planning & the correct central heating controls there's no reason it wouldn't work well.

One last word of warning, a stove of that size can be a bit overpowering, with a lot of heat to the room.

I hope that's some help fella.

Thanks for your reply.

Instead of getting a bigger cylinder could i get a third, bigger radiator that went outside the house. could be used a in small glass house. Or I guess i could just have a hot tap outside and make a hot tub :p

Sponsored Links
There's a couple of advantages in increasing the HW cylinder size;
1. You have a large heat dump of useful hot water in the winter.
2. A large storage cylinder for your thermal solar system in the summer.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back