Off Grid Electrics Problem?

I called at the Park Home this afternoon.

Ionization on the boiler display with it set to L was 4 to 4.4 microamps.

Attachments

• 20230126_150707.jpg
    20230126_150707.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
I got 5.7 Ohms on the earth loop tester which was plugged into the socket outlet the boiler plugs into, which whilst its only 70-80 yards as the crow flies, I found out this afternoon that the cable between the Inverter/batteries and the Honda generator which is connected to the inverter actually runs around the edge of the field so me be double that length.
I was unable to figure out size of the cables.

The earth loop tester registered 2.15 Ohms down at the other end of the field

Unfortunately I inadvertently recorded the reading on a 23 second video so it is to big for the Diynot server to process.

The customer is going to see if her Honda generator will supply clean enough AC voltage to run the boiler.
It is an EU Inverter 20i

Attachments

• 20230126_145209.jpg
    20230126_145209.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I do accept that it may be that the Intergas Boiler may not run successfully on an Off Grid set up
It certainly should be able to, if the supply is configured correctly.
The boiler isn't the problem here, although the boiler is probably unique in revealing the problem with the supply.

If they have wired it as a split supply, this will lead to other problems, such as light fittings remaining live with the switch off, as lighting is almost always single pole switching.
If they have used socket outlets with SP switches the same problem applies there.

Sponsored Links
If they have wired it as a split supply, this will lead to other problems, such as light fittings remaining live with the switch off, as lighting is almost always single pole switching. If they have used socket outlets with SP switches the same problem applies there.
All very true. However, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP was telling us that that had been 'sorted out' by an electrician, when he wrote
There were earth problems initially, L to N 230, L to E 120v and, N to E 110v
The electrician who supplied and fitted the Off Grid stuff sorted the L t0 E and N to E ...
... which I took (maybe wrongly!) to mean that the electrician had changed it to an N-referenced supply, with ~230V L-N, ~230V L-E and very little N-E.
The Baker: is that the case?

Kind Regards, John

Earth loop reading at the other end of the field was 2.15 Ohms at around 4pm yesterday compared to 5.86 Ohms at the Park Home.

One thing I had not realised is that the cable connecting both ends of this installation are longer than I originally thought.

The cable goes around the edge of the field rather than across it.
Therefore it could be twice as long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back