Off topic but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... some practical minds lurk here and I rate those minds, so...

On a trip back from the vets, on Monday at 5pm, my son Liam managed to allow his corn snake to escape into our Peugeot 807 (7 seater) and she was last seen slithering out of sight, under the carpet! She's 4ft long.

I've removed all the rear seats, which are quick release; pulled off several plastic panels and lifted the carpet where I can. Full carpet removal is a lot more involved and so I stopped (work demands being more important).

We're not using the vehicle and it's on my drive, being used as a giant vivarium with heat lamp, water bowl and hide inside it to try and coax her out of her hiding place.

Even though she's cold blooded, I was considering driving round the corner to the local fire station and asking them nicely if they could try using their thermal imaging kit to locate her!

Does anyone here have any other ideas?

Many thanks,
Dean

P.s: thought this'd make a change to the usual "what boiler should I buy" :)

Sponsored Links
When was it last fed? A mouse or two might tease the little fecker out?

Thanks Dan. Trouble is, she's not eaten for 6 weeks, since laying 15 eggs, 2 weeks ago... hence the vet trip. Might put one in there though, nothing to lose!
By putting her "shelter rock" in there, the thinking is that if she comes to the food/water/heat lamp then she'll go into her shelter and not back to a bloody hole somewhere.

Would it help to leave the windows open a couple of inches with mesh across the openings?
I'm thinking cooling the vehicle overall to make the heat lamp more attractive.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, had to get that in there.

Don't worry Dan, was expecting "Snakes on a Peugeot" jokes but the lad is beside himself with guilt and worry and we became rather attached to her after the initial reluctance to let him have such a pet.

Cooling the floor of th car by spraying the underside with cold water may encourage the snake to seek a warmer place in the car.

If that doesn't work then it might be an idea to park the car on a tarpaulin with the edges raised high enough to prevent the snake escaping from the tarpaulin if she gets out of the car.

Before moving the car check the snake is nowhere near any bits that move.

What diameter is this snake? Trying to think what size opening it might have got into.

Do you have a heat pad D? I know you have the lamp on but a pad is a bit more concentrated (the lamp might be warming up the whole car), then have her shelter on that with food in it.

Have you got a dash cam - maybe rig it to look inside the car then when the snake appears/goes somewhere it might give you a clue:unsure:

Thanks guys.

Like the idea of making the car cold and concentrating the heat to her shelter - might need to put something under the heat pad to stop it warming the carpet - else she'll likely just go underneath it and get warmed there!

Am concerned now that she may not have had water for a couple of days and may not be able to backtrack to where she got under the carpet - due to dark. There's bloody thousands of holes she could have gone into - even the ventilation ducting which runs along the floor pan, under the carpet.

I popped into the local fire station this morning. Fireman was really helpful and quite concerned - a life's a life and all that. He said it needed to go through proper channels and referred me to the RSPCA - on their request, they'd come out. Explained this all to RSPCA and got a phone call a few hours later saying they couldn't attend because I couldn't be certain it was still in the car! That's what I wanted the Thermal imaging kit for, I explained - the idiot on the phone didn't get it at all... one of those conversations where you might as well be talking to a recording :cautious:

So, to get the Fire brigade who'll play ball, I have to go through the RSPCA, who wont.

Think we're gonna set up the shelter again and heat pad etc and I'll put it on a platform with flour sprinkled around the perimeter - that way we'll know if she's visited.

Thanks again all.

Set fire to the car, leave the doors open and your snake will soon appear(y)

I have a Flir i7 camera, but I'm not sure how to get it to you. I'm in nw8 all tomorrow, then Friday, NW10, W2, and either NW8 again or back home.

Might be too late but then though.

Wow Dan. Anywhere we could meet up on your way in tomorrow? Would love to give that a try (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back