Office Shed Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking at building an office shed at the side of our house. We've not decided whether to go for a pre-fab, or build one ourselves. I've not bad at DIY myself - kitchens, bathrooms, partition walls etc. We also have a good friend who's a carpenter.

We were hoping someone might be able to offer some high level advice if possible?

Please see attached photos - I'm thinking of using as much of that space as possible whilst keeping it square to the house ( 3m depth x 2m width )

My first question - is it a good idea to build the shed attached to the house? So the brick would be one of the walls on the interior. Or is it better for it to have it's own wall butted up against the brick? When I say 'better' I mean in terms of water ingress, damp, mould or anything else.

Second question - any thoughts on the best approach for the foundation? A concrete slab seems the best choice, particularly if attaching to the house.

I've also considered a timber frame, raised off the ground using some of these puppies concreted in holes:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lan...crete-in+Sleeper+/+Base+Anchor+Bracket/p75498

Another option is using a base kit like this:
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/shed-accessories/shed-bases/eco/10x6-pro-shed-base-kit-shs

With the base kit, I'm just concerned about damp rising up through the timbers.

It's early stages weighing up the options, but any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

IMG_20170621_125140.jpg
IMG_20170621_125152.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you propose will likely need full planning and building control, given the proximity to the boundary.

Can you not stick it at the bottom of the garden. it will be an order of magnitude cheaper.

What you propose will likely need full planning and building control, given the proximity to the boundary.

Can you not stick it at the bottom of the garden. it will be an order of magnitude cheaper.

Thanks for replying. I was under the impression that as long as it's under 2.5 metres we're fine right up to the boundary:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

With building regs, I didn't think it was a consideration, but I just checked:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2
and it mentions 'within 1m of the boundary'.

I'll look into both factors though to be sure. We're just trying to make use of the dead space, and with a window to the front, double doors to the rear (no side windows), it'd be an okay place to work with plenty of light.

Planning/Building Regs aside, do you have any thoughts on the foundations?

Thanks

If it's attached to your house it's not an out building.

Some people seem to think a gap of 150mm is sufficient, others think bigger.

Will the design work with a 200mm gap say?

Sponsored Links
It's not designed yet, just scoping out issues such as these at the minute. We could factor in a gap if needed. I'll look into that then - I didn't realise there were different rules if it was attached to your house - thanks for the heads up..

Hi, I'm just about to post on here somewhere for advice...I am having a shed/outhouse type of construction built against my house and am doing it from scratch. I did wonder whether to buy a building but it worked out more expensive. I will add a photo of the sort of building I wanted to buy, then was going to insulate it, waterproof it etc etc. As you can see this is joined on to the back of the house, its just an idea but thought I would show you.

Attachments

• 2017-01-21.png
    2017-01-21.png
    856.7 KB · Views: 124
Even just to attach a simple shed to your house do you need approval.....

Providing you retain external doors and walls and build it at ground level. As per the guide:

• They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.
  • The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.
  • There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.
  • Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back