Offsetting block work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to offsett blocks like I've drawn in the image?
I'm building an extension and the existing house has a delph stone plinth 1.2 m high with rendered blocks on top.
I've price up for reclaimed stone and can get it with a 125mm bed size but I've also found some more affordable good matches in reconstituted stone but can only get them in 100mm bed size.
I'd like it to match a near as possible but to do that I'd have to offset the blocks so the render does not form a lip where it meets the reconstituted stone which doesn't happen on the existing house.
Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Just one small point. I'm not a pro'.
When I was building an extension (in UK) the spec was for 25mm cavity insulation with a 25mm residual gap.
I used 30mm cavity insulation and the Building Inspector suggested (insisted?) that I offset the outer skin to maintain the 25mm residual cavity gap.
You didn't mention the cavity gap that you have to start with, but it might be desirable/required to maintain a 50/25mm residual gap.

I don't know whether it is permissable to reduce the existing cavity gap without some other adjustments/modifications.

The walls just need to be adjusted to suit the proposed insulation/air gap if applicable. Just slightly longer/shorter wall ties may be required to suit.

Sponsored Links
If it was possible to do then I was thinking id make the cavity 15mm bigger until I offset the blocks and the cavity returned to the specd 100mm.
If I do offset the blocks will this be questioned by the BCO

No won't be an issue, are you proposing full filled insulation or partially fill (like Celotex)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back