Oh dear! (Shoddy electical work) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1712312068762.png

Sponsored Links
Thing is, if you don't know and you don't know that you don't know. I wonder if it's on an RCD protected circuit.

It would still be utter shi'ite, but why not at the very least cut the four gang off and take the flex directly into the floodlight.
At least then you wouldn't need the shelf...

Sponsored Links
Just needs the extension lead cable pulling out a bit more to form a drip.

The ventilator seems to be installed upside down. Perhaps to direct some rain inside the house rather than having it wet the shelf.:giggle::giggle:

I stayed on a small caravan set owned by an "electrician", around the bin area he had installed security lights using ordinary indoor JBs instead of outdoor waterproof , each one a had little wooden shelter built around it

Obv a wind up!

I've seen worse? I had to do an emergency repair for a friend, five years ago, who's downstairs ring was tripping. What I found was a double socket, wired as a spur, outside in a car port, with the badly deteriorated roof, giving no protection because it was breaking up. The twin socket was then looped on to provide a supply to garage sockets and lighting. All protected by an old Wylex 30amp MCB, once a 30amp fuse wire.

The socket had suffered water damaged, and the cause of the MCB trip. There was no access to where it was spurred from, to disconnect it and it was getting on, so I did a joint, in an upturned plastic 2L milk bottle, and left with an instruction that it all needed to be sorted out properly and urgently.

It's still the same, today, as I left it - despite reminders :eek:

I've seen worse? I had to do an emergency repair for a friend, five years ago, who's downstairs ring was tripping. What I found was a double socket, wired as a spur, outside in a car port, with the badly deteriorated roof, giving no protection because it was breaking up. The twin socket was then looped on to provide a supply to garage sockets and lighting. All protected by an old Wylex 30amp MCB, once a 30amp fuse wire.

The socket had suffered water damaged, and the cause of the MCB trip. There was no access to where it was spurred from, to disconnect it and it was getting on, so I did a joint, in an upturned plastic 2L milk bottle, and left with an instruction that it all needed to be sorted out properly and urgently.

It's still the same, today, as I left it - despite reminders :eek:
Plastic bottles, particularly milk, make excellent permanent oops silly slip of the keys there, temporary JB's. I even found a BT cable, something like 20 pair, on the side of a pole many moons ago and another buried in a sandy beach supplying the beach cafe phone line.

They have also been handy for temp extension leads outdoors if cut and positioned in a particulr way, but that was before I started getting these
1712328608725.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back