Oil based mastic not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has put an oil based mastic down the join between our new single story extension and our house and 3.5 days later it is still very soft, and wet underneath a skin. Is it meant to be like this? How long should it take to set? Also is this material OK to use for this job?

Sponsored Links
Oil based mastic never actually sets. It forms a skin but stays pliable beneath.

Has he done two jobs, or is this just a duplicate post on the same joint?

Sorry, I forgot I started the other post the other day, too many building worries going round my head.

Sponsored Links
Oil based mastic never actually sets. It forms a skin but stays pliable beneath.
How pliable are we talking? After 3 days it is still wet enough underneath its skin to stick to your fingers, will it get less pliable? Also is this a suitable sealant to use?

How pliable are we talking? After 3 days it is still wet enough underneath its skin to stick to your fingers, will it get less pliable? Also is this a suitable sealant to use?
It should stay as it was (beneath the skin) when it was pumped out of the tube.
Also is this a suitable sealant to use?
Not ideal, but it should do the job.
As Woodplank said in your duplicate post, poly sulphide sealant is usually used.

If I don't like it, which I don't, how easy is it going to be to get rid of it? I think if I try and take it out it's going to make a right mess of the surrounding wall, is there stuff I can use to clean up the wall with?

If I don't like it, which I don't, how easy is it going to be to get rid of it? I think if I try and take it out it's going to make a right mess of the surrounding wall, is there stuff I can use to clean up the wall with?
What don't you like about it?

You will need a solvent probably spirit based in order to remove any residue. Turps or white spirits?

The fact that it is so soft. My kids will probably end up poking it or sticking sticks in it or something. It's bound to get knocked at some point and leave a big dent in it which won't look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back