Oil-based undercoat going off very fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just painted 2 new window boards with a coat of Crown Trade Full Undercoat.

The tin is a year old and was pretty thick, so I mixed in some white spirit to thin it down a bit.

I painted the boards, and within 20 minutes it was touch dry! This seems way too quick to me. I didn't do very thin coats, thick enough to cover the pencil marks on the primered surface.

Should I be concerned? I don't like painting at all, so really don't want to have to apply extra layers if its gone off quickly and patchy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah but this seems way too fast, the room is about 16degrees. I did another window this morning and the start was dry by the time I got to the end (And I'm not that slow!)

Wondering if I need a new tin....

Undercoat is very porous hence the solvent dries quicker. that is a GOOD thing.

Sponsored Links
I bought a new tin of the same paint Friday, and did a coat of that. It still dried much faster than the instructions suggest, but it did take about an hour, so I was able to work to a wet edge.

Suspect storing the old tin in the loft over the last year has knackered it.

If you want a longer working window, add Owatrol rather than WS. Use WS as a thinner if the paint is too thick.

If you want to increase the actual curing time, add Terebine. It wont have much effect on the wet edge but will allow between coat sanding earlier and speed up touch dry times.

I normally use all three simultaneously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back