Oil boiler fire cut off valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any ideaa if it is necessary for a fire cut off valve to be fitted to the oil pipe? I have been told that it is not necessary since a fire would not spread to the tank because it would run out of oxygen.

I will get one to be on the safe side (they must be invented for a reason) any idea what type or an internet site which is good for these things?

Sponsored Links
You must have a remote acting fire valve fitted to oil boilers. The sensing phial is fitted inside the boiler case, above the burner and the valve itself must be outside the building. (ensure that it is the correct way up as indicated on the fitting instructions when you buy one.) It is permissible to fit the valve inside the house if the oil supply pipe is buried and comes up only when inside the property.
The valve is there to cut off the oil supply to the interior of the house should a fire develop in the boiler casing. It is nothing to do with protecting the oil tank.

For a vaporising appliance such as an AGA, two remote acting fire valves must be fitted. One with the sensor inside the appliance and the valve on the supply side to the Oil Control Valve and the other with the sensor over the Oil Control Valve and the valve external to the property. This set-up protects against a fire in the appliance and a fire close to the Oil Control Valve.

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/copy_of_3m_KBB_Fire_Valves.html

I live in estonia and here they do not have these remote fire valves - the heating engineer I spoke with has heard about them and seen one once but they do not use them in estonia - so here it is not a 'must', but the opposite that it is deemed not necessary.

My question was whether he was correct in that no fire would go either between tank and boiler or boiler and tank because the oil would not have the oxygen to spread a fire from one to the other - that is why in Estonia they do not use them.

Are you really expecting people to know on a UK internet forum what the oil regulations are for domestic dwellings in Estonia?

If your fitter assumes a fire valve would be to prevent oil burning in a small bore pipe between the ttank and the boiler, he must be of very limited intelligence.

Sponsored Links
I live in estonia and here they do not have these remote fire valves - the heating engineer I spoke with has heard about them and seen one once but they do not use them in estonia - so here it is not a 'must', but the opposite that it is deemed not necessary.

My question was whether he was correct in that no fire would go either between tank and boiler or boiler and tank because the oil would not have the oxygen to spread a fire from one to the other - that is why in Estonia they do not use them.

the fire valve by uk reg, mounted outside, is to prevent oil flooding into the fire zone if a fitting is breached by said fire, again thats why it has to be outside, away from any potential fire zone.

Put simply, the fire valve is to stop all the oil from your tank flooding into your house if, for instance, the rubber oil supply hose inside your boiler gets burnt through due to a fire. I imagine that even in Estonia, 2,500 litres of oil on fire inside your kitchen would render the house a little warm and force you out into the snow.

Jeez people on this forum are so hostile!

Simond - no of course I don't expect people on a UK forum to know oil regulations for Estonia, and critiscising someone's intelligence (I am sure he is as qualified as you, just boilers and piping are all diffferent here) and then not even posting any reply to the question - waste of time and you missed the point as often I see people on this forum do, I wonder if some of you read the post properly?

OilLecky (and WDIK) your last answer was all that I was looking for, why didn't you just post this in the beginning?

Just saying you have to have a fire valve didn't answer the question I was asking, why - what is the reason for one and finally you answered it. Now I understand.

In future, word of advice (Simond - no need to be hostile) OilLecky - if you can give a comprehensive answer as you did in the last post, but do it at the beginning it saves everyone time. But thanks.

Sorry JD. My first answer did contain the actual point of "why" we fit a fire valve. Quote.

"The valve is there to cut off the oil supply to the interior of the house should a fire develop in the boiler casing. It is nothing to do with protecting the oil tank."

However it may have been hidden amongst the "where" we fit a fire valve.

However it does help if as much relevant information is given in the initial inquiry. (For instance in this case, apart from the now obvious national regulations issue; if the oil tank is below the boiler and the oil is lifted by use of an aerator such as a Tigerloop, then it is unlikely that gravity will dump the oil into the building should there be a leak. In the UK we would still have to fit a fire valve but you could in that instance, quite safely, choose not to.

So perhaps a general description of your installation would have helped us all. (i.e. pressure jet / vaporising appliance, fuel storage & supply pipe routing etc.

I take your point about the hostility. It helps no one to make comments that do not give advice or useful information.

Very good, thank you. Now I just need to know a good online source to purchase a fire valve - since trying to get one in Estonia is A. extremely expensive and B. a long waiting time.. Any ideas?

Ok, very good. I see now that you posted this link earlier but I missed it. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back