Oil boiler not firing - No heating or hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Warmflow Riello outside oil boiler, which has cut out and will not fire, so have no heating or hot water.

The red reset button light is illuminated and when I press the reset button, it tries to fire up but then cuts out again after about 10 seconds.

I have tried bleeding the bleed valve underneath the red cover. The first time I did this there was a little bit of air bubbles and then a little bit of oil flowed out. It then cut out again and have tried a few more times to bleed the valve, but there is no oil coming out of the valve and after pressing reset button again, it tries to fire, but is still cutting out after about 10 seconds.

Is there anything else I should try. Would be grateful for any help to get the heating on. Many thanks
oilboiler.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, the oil tank was topped up yesterday. I am pretty sure the oil had not run empty before being topped up yesterday, but am aware it was low before the oil delivery. So that's why I figured the problem might have been caused by running out of oil, so have tried bleeding the valve since the oil was topped up, but still not working. Please help me get the heating on.

Sponsored Links
I tried but cannot fit wrench in to unscrew. If there was oil flowing wouldn't it come out from the bleed nozzle when bleeding it?

When bleeding, should the nozzle be completely removed, or just unscrewed a little?

Is there any other reset button other than the red one?

Take burner out just undo nut top of burner.
Flex easily accessible
Be a overheat stat but if burner running its probably not that.
Is your oil tank well above burner?

What do you mean by burner?
What is overheat stat?
The oil tank is quite a long distance away from boiler - probably slightly higher ground than boiler.
Could you provide fool proof instructions, as don't want to unscrew the wrong thing

Check that the delivery driver has turned the oil back on your tank after the fill up.Turn off the power to the boiler. Remove the nut at the top centre of the red Riello case and withdraw the burner complete. Turn off the oil supply at the chrome tap between the green pipe and the copper oil pipe to the right of the burner. Go to the tank and turn off the oil supply. Check for blockages and air bleed screws in any filters then turn the oil back on at the tank bleeding any filters. Back at the boiler, remove the green pipe from the bottom of the oil pump and find a container to collect oil. Open the chrome tap at the other end of the green pipe and check for oil flow. If no flow, call an engineer.

Which side of the green flexi hose should I unscrew? The left-hand side that goes underneath red cover. Or the right-hand side which goes into copper pipe?

Please reply urgently

The yellow and black tap to the right hand side of pic is the only tap I can see - There is no other tap that I can see near the oil tank. I have not touched the yellow/black tap. Is it currently in the on or off position?

There will be a shut of valve on oil tank!
The valve you can see nr boiler is on.
To be truthful I strongly advise you get a suitably qualified oil engineer as next thing you will have kero leaks.
I'm assuming you have boiler serviced yearly? contact them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back