Oil boiler flame intermittent

Thats exactly what we have been telling you!

The flue gas being drawn into the inlet.

Yes, I understand that. What I'm saying is that it appears that there isn't actually a leak, it appears to be coming out of the end of the exhaust and beaing drawn back into the inlet.

Can you take a photo and post it on here?

Steve

Sponsored Links
If those are the exhaust holes on the cone then it strikes me that there aren't enough to ensure the flue gases get out of the boiler! The csa of the holes looks less than the csa of the flue pipe.

Is that the standard arrangement for this boiler or something special for your weather conditions?

Is that the standard arrangement for this boiler or something special for your weather conditions?

As far as I know, it's standard. It was installed before we bought the house so I don't know for certain.

Steve

Ooo err missus! I take it that the lower pipe is the intake? I agree that the sum of the area of outlet holes is a lot smaller than the size of the flue and seem insufficient. Also if the wind ( and I know that you get lots of that!) blew straight onto the end of the exhaust you would have problems! I would have thought that the inlet would need to be a larger diameter but as it is, any stray exhaust getting into it is going to reduce the oxygen percentage and thus affect combustion. I would really like to know why it suddenly developed this fault. What has changed? Nearby structures to the flue outlet? I agree with Agile, if a metal sheet separating the exhaust and the inlet work then fine do it! Another option, until the "man comes", if the garage is not occupied by anyone or any animals, then just take the cover of and run the thing like that on air from the garage. You could always block the inside of the air inlet to prevent any fumes coming into the garage from the flue and inlet duct.

Sponsored Links
I decided to give it a good clean out - took the baffles out etc. There were quite a lot of rust flakes in there. Gave it all a good hoovering and a blast out with compressed air... and... it seems to be working OK now!

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back