Oil boiler intermittent lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an HRM Wallstar 20/25 (2003 I think) oil boiler.

Seems to be locking out every day at the moment, only notice when the hot waters gone cold.

Boiler was serviced last month.

I had a plumber friend look at it who suggested solenoid coil and then the ignition transformer, but replaced both and no joy. He also suggested intermittent faults like this are very hard to pin down because it works right up until it doesn't.

I've swapped the control box because the replacement offers a lockout flashcode display but the same problem.

The flashcode says (I think!) "Internal fuse defect" / "control box defect" - unfortunately, that doesn't really narrow things down!

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Strange how its happening after a service, a bit of info below.

Honeywell Satronic DKO 970 Mod. 05for one - or two-stage oil burners up to 30 kg/h, diesel and gas burners, heat generators, gas boilers
Flame detection:
- Photoresistor MZ 770 S
- Infrared-flicker detector IRD 1010.1
- UV flame sensor UVD 970
Control units with oil burner DKO 970 mod.05 for oil burners with capacity up to 30 kg /h. They are approved and certified in accordance with European standards and regulations.
Programming sequence based on a microprocessor ensures extremely stable timings independent of voltage variations,ambient temperature and /or cycles.
Built-in information system not only provides continuous monitoring of the actual status (very useful especially to monitor the launch phase) but also informs about the cause of possible blockage. The reason for the block is stored so that it can be accessed even after power failure.
The control unit is designed for maximum safety in case of fluctuations of the supply voltage. If the voltage is falling below an acceptable level, operation is interrupted and the control unit automatically prevents the launching. Thus, the security system will not be under threat when the voltage drop of the network. This low voltage protection works not only during startup but also during operation.

Sponsored Links
I would check the ignition electrodes for cracking , check the leads aren’t bunched up and obscuring the photocell from the light of the flame. See if air bubbles are being drawn into the burner hose ( if transparent hose fitted ). If it locks out every morning check the non return valve either built in the fire valve , or situated below it.also try new new photo cell

Think I've managed to fix this.

After taking the burner off, the bolt holding the electrodes down was loose and they were moving around.

72s76To.jpg

Tightened with the correct gap set and it's not had any issues for a week.

Over time, the main problem with these is the non return valve incorporated in the fire valve between the oil supply and the flexi. Any air leaks will allow the oil to drain back to the tank and the oil pump is unable to replenish it in the normal sequence timings. In the past, I have installed a stand alone non return valve before the fire valve and this fixes the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back