Oil boiler noisy in winter not in summer when starting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an oil boiler and in the winter months when it starts up first thing in the morning (I don't run it overnight) it's VERY noisy. I would say a roaring fan / whirring motor kind of noise. It eventually quietens down but can take up to an hour if it's been very cold overnight.
In the summer months i.e. it's almost inaudible.

Obviously it's to do with something reaching a minimum temperature but how can I sort it out so I don't have to suffer again this winter?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Motor bearings may be wearing, can you come back with the make of Burner fitted to the boiler - and the make of Boiler would be useful ;)

Sounds like the Motor bearings may be wearing, can you come back with the make of Burner fitted to the boiler - and the make of Boiler would be useful ;)

Hi sorry for the delay got sidetracked with some unexpected things at home.

Riello Burner Camray Quartet Boiler

Thanks

Sponsored Links

If the motor bearings are wearing why does it only make the noise in winter?

Thanks

Probably because any lubricant thats left in the bearings is thicker, although once the unit is warm the noise should diminish.
Your bearings are likely to be 6202 ZZ (metal shielded) and are dead easy to fit......the motor will be very quiet afterwards.
John :)

Probably because any lubricant thats left in the bearings is thicker, although once the unit is warm the noise should diminish.
Your bearings are likely to be 6202 ZZ (metal shielded) and are dead easy to fit......the motor will be very quiet afterwards.

Many thanks for the info.
How can I check what the correct bearings are and could you give me a retailer online where I can buy them.

Cheers

If you can split the burner motor - usually 3 or 4 long screws - the bearings will either come out with the commutator, or be left behind in the alloy casting. Look out for any metal shims!
If its the latter, heat from a heat gun just expands things enough for the bearings to drop out.
The bearing number and make will be engraved on the bearing outer track itself, and its a unique code.
I usually get mine in bulk from Ebay, but if there's a bearing factor near you, it will be much quicker. Expect to pay around a tenner each from a factor, and its a reasonable move to take the old bearing(s) with you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back