Oil Boiler or Immersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electricity bill is killing me ... but the oil bill aint much better.

I have an oil boiler that heats the water in the hot water tank. I also have an immersion in there. Attached is a Tapstat Cylinder Control to regulate the heat of the water.

Issue - I constantly use the Immersion as the water simply doesn't get hot enough with the boiler method - I wonder if the Tapstat is too low on the tank, broken etc (it is set to max). I have checked to ensure the capillary form the tapstat isn't touching any of the hot pipes (and being fooled)!!

Anyone seen this before?

Darren

Sponsored Links
Do you know what the flow temp of the water is from the oil boiler? It needs to be about 75degC If it is then the sensor or stat may be faulty. Since the water needs to be about 55-60degC

How do I check this? Is there a setting on the oil boiler or is it a single temp? Thanks

Could be several causes. A tapstat means it is quite old, so the coil may be scaled up. Most tapstats are on gravity systems, so there may be too little circulation. The tapstat may be faulty and closing off too soon. Converting to a fully pumped system may help assuming the basic hardware is not too scaled up.

Sponsored Links
Fix the system.
Get a modern tank that is well insulated for a start
instead of wasting electric heating water in an old tank.

Sorry this might be obvious but what does a new tank give me? This one is 7-8 years old and I am still left with the issue above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back