Oil Boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ive a couple of problems with the oil boiler.

Its a GRANT Vortex Combi 26.

I decided to fire things up and check everything is working ok prior to the winter. I first of all notice that 4 out of th 6 rads upstairs were only getting warm half way so decided to bleed them.

System preasure dropped to near nothng after i had done one, so thought id top up the system. Sounds straight forward... if only.

I opened up the "Shut Off" valve first then topped the preasure by opening slowly the "Double Check" valve.. all going ok. All rads now bled and nice and hot. Unfortunatly the "Shut off valve has been faulty in the past and seems to have been gunked up with silicone. It now has a very small drip coming from the valve body, and it drips onto the main burner.. Arghhh! looking deeper there is evidence that this has been doing this before and for a while. I could just silicone up, but would rather do a propper job.

Any advice on repairing the valve?

Secondly there is a flexi vent tube from the burner, this was not even connected properly to the burner, only half on, ive now fixed in place with clip fastner, could this of been left half on to cover up another problem? just asking in advance?

Also after looking outside the pipe work has a leak around the fire shut off valve... whats best way to seal these up? It does look like someones had a go already!!!!

See pictures:

DSCF1907.jpg

photo.jpg

Im letting the system settle over night and cool before i check the preasure again. Ive managed to get a piece of pipe in to catch the drip and divert it into a bowl keeping it away from the burner.

Can I fix these problems myself, or do I need to get a plumber in who is oftec registered?

Thanks in advace

M.A.

Sponsored Links
The elbow on the right of the outside picture looks as if the tube is/has come partly out of the fitting.

None of the problems you have listed seem very serious. If you have the skills then yoiu could fix them.

Otherwise better to call an OFTEC to give a service and deal with these minor things at the same time.

Tony

The filling Loop valves on most oil combis are prone to leak! (I think it is due to the very high temperatures that oil combis run at) however the replacement of the valve is very easy and would take a service engineer no more than 10 mins (can be done without draining if you know what you are doing!) sligh weep on the fire valve outside joint needs stripping down and remaking using some Heldite on the olives

find a good local engineer (Grant UK have a list of trained engineers and will happily give you details of your nearest) - like to help myself but i'm in Suffollk!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back