Puma Boiler problem again!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Puma puma puma
Sorry Guys
have got a little problem with the central heating isolating cocks-flow & return - both have got a little leak -drip drip.
I have turned the preasure relief valve to relive water preasure in system, which for the moment has stopped the leak - no presure now, but alas if I presureize the system the drips start again.
The leaks are from the isolating cock taps themselves, which occurred after I had tried to turn them off - with minimal presure, while doing a seperate unrelated job.
I presume that these are normal cut off type valves ie turn clockwise for off and reverse for on!! , but they are not budging at the moment - may be clogged up with limescale etc?? . I don't want to put too much force on them or will I have to replace them anyway.
Many thanks in advance.
Edd1e

Sponsored Links
You will have to replace them, there are very few boilers where you can turn the valves off without them leaking and the puma isn't one.

If you are not needing to turn them off then reduce the pressure and dry them and apply a thick layer of LSX leak sealer.

It might seal it!

Much better to replace them with new valves. You dont have to use anything special, just 22 mm ball valves. Much better are full flow lever valves with the levers removed, they are better quality and dont cause any restriction.

Tony

Fernox Internal Leak sealant may stop the leaks.

Drain (I would advise against the prv but you have aready done that so you may as well do it again.)

Follow instructions and pump into system through a bleed valve. Have system open to atmophere to do this as it makes it a whole lot easier to pump in. Caulking gun required.

Refill and let it circulate. Have known it to seal leaks upto 6 drips a min (Double dose).

If more, forget it and replace with the lever vlvs as Agile says.

David

Sponsored Links
I don't entirely know why, but if you put up with the leaks and consequent drips for a couple of days, you often find they'll stop by themselves.
Whether it's an O ring reseating itself or similar, dunno. One of these days I'll saw one in half!
They certainly don't always stop though!

they just seem to scale themselves up in my experience and then if you so much as look at them again they start leaking again :confused:

Thanks for the replies
Concensus seems to be replace them? I tried sealent last night and will repressure in the morning, but I'm not optimistic on the sealant doing the trick !!
Many thanks again
Edd1e

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back