Oil Boiler Replacement...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.....

Ive had some earlier posts helping me fix my old boiler... (Not the misses)

Anyway, Yet another Failure, Thats 4 in 2 months, so decided its time replace it.

What i want to knowm is what qualifications do you need to replace an Oil Fired Boiler?

Our current boiler is situated next to the side door of the house, ive been told that due to new regs we cant have a replacement located where existing one is....Mmmm.... Is this true?

Does anyone have any recomendations for a wall mounted Oil boilers? Manufacturer? Model no etc

thanks

MA

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
Anyway, Yet another Failure, Thats 4 in 2 months, so decided its time replace it.

You could replace just the burner.

What i want to knowm is what qualifications do you need to replace an Oil Fired Boiler?

None.

Our current boiler is situated next to the side door of the house, ive been told that due to new regs we cant have a replacement located where existing one is....Mmmm.... Is this true?

They are not "new" regs, they have been like that for decades.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a wall mounted Oil boilers? Manufacturer? Model no etc

HRM Wallstar, Heating World Grandee, Worcester, and others. Thermecons are horrid to work on.

To Install Oil fired Boilers you need OFTEC qualifications.

Siting of the Boiler depends on dimensions , ie doors and windows.

There are not that many oil boilers to compare as they all work on the same principle but i find Thermecon offer a great back up service

Bryan King said:
To Install Oil fired Boilers you need OFTEC qualifications.

You do NOT need any qualifications. If your statement is true, please quote the law which requires it.

.........i find Thermecon offer a great back up service

That may be the case, but wall mounted Thermecons are horrid to work on, HRM are a dream. HRM also offer a great backup service, as do all manufacturers in my experience.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replys...

Im sure Oilman you remember helping me out before with this boiler.... when it gave off horrible smells.....lol... Neva done that since i siliconed it up....

Anyways, like i said in orig posting, its time to replace....

and as i think weve wrked out, no need for qualifications, so i can do it myself....

Ill have a look at the variose ones you have metioned, and get some prices....

Of the manufactureres, are there any particular models you guys would recommend?

Once ive installed it, does it need signing of by anyone?
Do the council need to know weve changed it? ;)

Im also going to replace the pipe runs from the Oil store... I assume this is just 10mm copper pipe? any special fixings for these?

There are two oil pipes, one is a return I assume... they currrently run around the outside wall, but the new ones could i bury them under the patio or driveway?

Also, any recomended reading material prior to me fitting our new boiler?

Many thanks again

MA

OK, ive done some research, and i understand i can fit the new one myself, as long as its commisioned by someone apparently. Please correct me if im wrong....

Im looking at the HRM Wallstar, as it seems a cracking boiler, having it located in the wall cavity...nice idea....

this unit only seems to require one pipe feed.... thats good, but what do i do with the return thats currently in place? just cut it off? Plug it? with?

thanks again

MA

MasterAbacus said:
OK, ive done some research, and i understand i can fit the new one myself, as long as its commisioned by someone apparently. Please correct me if im wrong....

Yes, you need to have a building control number for the installing though.

Im looking at the HRM Wallstar, as it seems a cracking boiler, having it located in the wall cavity...nice idea....

IMO a good choice. Probably the easiest to service.

this unit only seems to require one pipe feed.... thats good, but what do i do with the return thats currently in place? just cut it off? Plug it? with?

Pull it out of the tank, cut off the excess.

To join OFTEC at this point in time is a matter of choice, i.e voluntary, just as it used to be with CORGI, but now we have to be CORGI registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back